what to do with fresh apricots

jellabie, Feb 22, 1:09am
I bought a box of fresh apricots the other day, but they are quite dry and not very tasty. . maybe they were picked too green.

I'm not the biggest fan of them anyway but I don't think my husband and children are going to bother eating them all either

Any suggestions as to what I can make with them? . . nothing too time consuming, and no jam, perhaps a nice cold pudding of some sort would go down a treat :o)

missmalice, Feb 22, 1:29am
Apricot Pie! :D

cookessentials, Feb 22, 1:43am
You could stew them gently and sweeten to taste. Serve with French vanilla ice cream. Make an apricot sauce to pour over ice cream or you could stew with apple and do an apricot and apple crumble

elliehen, Feb 22, 2:44am
Even less-than-perfect apricots will stew up well. That'll be quick and easy and you could freeze what you don't want to use straightaway. Later on in the winter you'll be grateful to find a stewed summer fruit in your freezer to have with cereals or to use for a crumble or cobbler.

Edited for typos ;)

theanimal1, Feb 22, 2:51am
Apricot Curd Recipe

Ingredients:

* 1½ lbs (675 g) fresh apricots or 1 lb (450 g) dried
* Juice of 2 lemons
* 4 free-range eggs
* 1 lb (450 g) sugar
* 4 oz (112 g) unsalted butter

Method:

1. Wash fresh apricots in hot water. Soak dried apricots for 24 hours in water.
2. Cook the apricots in a pan with just enough water to prevent them burning. When soft, push through a strainer into a medium-sized mixing bowl, pressing down on the fruit with a wooden spoon. Throw away the skins left in the strainer.
3. Put another heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and melt the butter. Beat the eggs lightly and stir into the bowl with the sugar, apricot puree and the juice of the lemons.
4. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, for 25 to 30 minutes or until it thickens.
5. Remove the bowl from the heat and pour the curd into clean, dry, warm, sterilized jars.
6. Seal and cover.
7. Label with date and contents when fully cooled.
8. Keep in a cool, dry place or refrigerate.

jellabie, Feb 22, 4:21am
thanks for the ideas and recipe! I will make the pie tomorrow night and will also have enough left over for stewing - my children are going to think all their Christmas's have come at once - we don't have pudding very often :o)

jellabie, Feb 22, 4:22am
oops I meant the apricot curd as a pie - I can imagine it would be nice spread on a pie base and topped with custard?

bumblebee13, Aug 28, 7:42pm
apricot sauce is nice