Cake Making experts, a little help please

lala2912, Aug 18, 4:56am
HI all, im very new to the cake making thing(its my daugthers 1st birthday today and im making a number 1 cake for her)... anyway, iv made it and cut it out and iv just put the crumb layer of the icing on, or whatever it is called(the layer that holds all the crumbs in place), iv just put it in the freezer to go hard. Now, whe i take it out and put the main layer on, how do i make it so it goes nice and smooth on the cake? ? Im very useless at this lol and have got frustrated many times so far, if anyone can help that would great!

elliehen, Aug 18, 5:01am
Not an expert, but if it's butter icing, you can get a smooth surface by simply keeping a pot of very hot water nearby and dipping your spreading knife before each 'spread' of the icing.

lala2912, Aug 18, 5:08am
its sort of just normal icing lol... you know, butter water icing sugar and abit of food coloring, its kind of thick now though as its been sitting for awhile, do you think that would work the same way though, with the hot water and knife?

margyr, Aug 18, 5:32am
make sure you dry your knife.

tortenz, Aug 18, 8:57am
yea it would be fine... but yes, dry your knife before using it on the icing. Still takes some practice, so don't worry yourself if it's not perfect :)

Also, put more icing on than you need, its easier to take it off than add more. Dump a large amount on and spread it out. Also, the more you fuss with it, the worse it will get!

tortenz, Aug 18, 8:58am
Also, just re-whip the icing if its thickened

cap, Feb 6, 7:16am
And if it still doesn't look good then cover the icing with lollies - they decorate the cake, the kids love to eat them and best of all they cover up all icing sins!