Pudding......Choc... less sugar.

pickles7, Oct 13, 4:52am
Self saucing, Choc pudding
in a basin put 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp cream of tartar, 2 Tblsp cocoa, 1/2 cup sultanas... . mix with 1/2 cup of milk, to make a stiff dough. Note No sugar. Pour over, 1 cup of boiling water 2 tsp golden syrup, 1/2 cup of sugar, 50 grams of butter. Steam 30 minutes. serve with custard, a dollop of cream or ice cream. enjoy

pickles7, Aug 15, 8:38am
bumping for. bonnie88

wron, Aug 15, 10:16am
Pickles, could you add a bit more detail for an enthusiastic male cook please?
The "pour over" bits - do you melt the butter and dissolve the sugar in the cup of boiling water?
Steaming - do you use a lid? Suitable for a slow cooker / crockpot?
Thanks!

wron, Aug 17, 9:31am
Bumping for pickles7

wron, Aug 20, 11:03am
Pickles, are you around?

bonnie88, Aug 21, 2:43am
BA HA! I knew there was one around *snoopy dance*. Thanks Pickles.

juliewn, Aug 21, 2:47am
Bumping for you-and hi. .

I'd mix the 1 cup of boiling water 2 tsp golden syrup, 1/2 cup of sugar, 50 grams of butter together until the butter and syrup have melted and the sugar dissolved. .

Pour over the batter in the bowl and steam.

It sounds similar to the Three-Quarter Hour Pudding in the Edmonds book, with cocoa added - basically a scone dough with the liquid poured over.

I'd steam it without a cover on the bowl as that pudding is cooked, and I'd cook it for the 3/4 hour that takes.

Hope this helps. .

wron, Aug 21, 4:54am
Hi Juliewn,
Would you steam this in a large pot on the stove or in a crockpot - with out the lid on?
Thanks.

juliewn, Aug 21, 12:14pm
Hi. . I'd do either. . I'd steam it for 3/4 hour in a pot and maybe 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours, or a bit longer, in a crockpot. .

Don't put a lid over the pudding basin itself - do put the pot lid or crockpot lid on though.

Let us know how you like it. . it is similar sounding to the Edmonds recipe I mentioned above - and I've seen similar recipes using brown sugar to replace the white sugar in the sauce ingredients, to make a sauce that's a little more caramelly. . and you can also use honey in place of the golden syrup too.

pickles7, Feb 19, 5:59pm
pickles7 wrote:
Self saucing, Choc pudding
in a basin put 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp cream of tartar, 2 Tbsp cocoa, 1/2 cup sultanas... . mix with 1/2 cup of milk, to make a stiff dough. Note No sugar. Pour over, 1 cup of boiling water 2 tsp golden syrup, 1/2 cup of sugar, 50 grams of butter, mixed to dissolve the sugar. Put the basin into a pot of simmering water without a cover, put the lid on the pot. Steam 30 minutes. serve with custard, a dollop of cream or ice cream. enjoy
This is a great stand by sort of recipe. 30 minutes and its done. Dates are just as nice as the sultanas... .