1/2 cup milk, at room temp
1 egg at room temp
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup flour
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
whipped cream to fill
icing sugar to dust
Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Place gem irons in oven to heat.
Place butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan and wrm to melt the butter. Beat the egg and milk together in a mixing bowl, add the butter and golden syrup mixture then mix in the dry ingredients,

Spray the hot gem irons with baking spray and spoon in the mixture to 3/4 fill the irons. Cook for 12-15 mins. Turn out and cool on a wire rack. Split cooked gems, fill with whipped cream and top with a dusting of icing sugar. Alternatively they can be buttered.

noonesgirl, Aug 15, 8:03am
From jo's website- Ginger Gems
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Ginger Gems

These lovely little cakes really take me back. My mum had a gem iron and made them occasionally and they are just lovely fresh out of the oven. They require a heavy cast iron gem pan, which gets heated in the oven until really hot, then you whip it out, drop butter into each compartment, then the batter and get it straight back into the oven. They are very easy to whip up in no time so make an ideal 'spontaneous' afternoon tea treat. Apparently they can be made in muffin tins as well, to me it just wouldn't be the same, I think the shape is what makes these!
This recipe comes from the Edmonds cookbook, the staple cookbook and baking bible that would have to be in most NZ households! It makes 12 wee gems, I doubled this when I made them for 24!

Ginger Gems

50 g butter
1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 egg
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c milk
extra butter

Preheat gem irons in oven at 200C. Cream butter and sugar and ginger in bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg, beating well. Beat in syrup. Sift flour and stir in. Dissolve baking soda in milk and quickly stir into creamed mix. Put small dots of butter in each section of gem iron. Spoon mixture into sizzling butter. Bake for 10 mins or until well risen and golden brown.

glenys21, Jan 28, 10:45am
Thank you for recipes. . away to try! ! :)