When I make a fruit crumble, why does the crumble

raebea, Aug 14, 8:46am
go soggy down into the fruit, it never stays dry on the top. I would appreciate any ideas about this.

winnie231, Aug 14, 9:37am
What recipe do you use?

tazzaboy2, Aug 14, 9:40am
do you drain your fruit? what recipe do you use?

raebea, Aug 14, 9:46am
I have tried many recipes, but I think I see the problem, I haven't drained the fruit, so probably too much juice in it, Thanks

elliehen, Aug 14, 10:05am
Apple crumble is better if you start with raw apple. I used to slice it very thinly (otherwise it takes too long to cook through) but someone else suggested grating it, which works brilliantly. Apples are so full of water, you don't need to add any extra.

Someone asked recently for a spice preference for apple pie. I've uncovered an old 'apple pie spice' mix tin from the US which lists cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cardamom.

winnie231, Aug 14, 10:10am
245sam suggested grating the apple for apple crumble ... a great tip!
You don't even have to peel the apple first :)

elliehen, Aug 14, 10:15am
Thanks for giving her due credit. I just took the tip on board instantly and could not remember whose it was :)

kuaka, Aug 14, 11:02pm
when I make an apple crumble I just cube the apples roughly, place in a buttered dish, sprinkle the apples with brown sugar and then put the crumble on top, and sprinkle with more sugar (usually white) and bake. It's yummy!

pickles7, Aug 14, 11:23pm
I prefer to cook and sweeten the apples first, thicken if need be. Put the apples in a buttered dish, sprinkle over the spice of choice. Put the crumble on top and cook in a hot oven, just to brown and cook the top. No need to cook it for long. A can of apple pie filling would be ok to use as well, if you have to buy the apples.

sarahb5, Aug 15, 1:15am
Same here although I sprinkle the top with raw sugar - gives a crunchier texture which we like. I never cook the apples first - what a waste of time - although if I'm making rhubarb crumble I do pop them in a pan and bring them to boil with some sugar so they're a bit softened but not mushy.

raebea, Aug 15, 9:27am
thanks to you all, so many good ideas, I was using cooked stewed fruit which always had quite a bit of juice , i tried putting the crumble on hot fruit & tried it on cold fruit all with the same end result. The apple ones do sound good, & I will try the grated apple, although I have a slicer thingie which i think would be good to use instead, cheers.

esdott, Aug 15, 1:18pm
i use the cans of pie filling from the supermarket. works a treat :)

creeky1, Aug 15, 8:19pm
i've been using a trick my SIL did if there is too much juice sprinkle over some sago, it soaks up the juice. Warm the fruit in a low oven and then sprinkle on the topping and brown. Yummo

elliehen, Jan 28, 6:59am
And if you want a change from Fruit Crumble, try this speedy American old favourite winter dessert.

FRUIT COBBLER
Mix:
1 cup flour
2 Tblsp sugar
1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Rub in 4 Tblsp butter or margarine
Add 1 egg whisked with 1/4 cup milk
Put six mounds on top of HOT fruit in baking pan
Bake 25 mins at 200*C
Dust with icing sugar

This is excellent with any stewed fruit at all, even a can of heated apricots or peaches when in a big hurry.