Allison Holst's Budget Biscuits from the 1980s

white_elephant, Aug 14, 6:36am
Does anyone have this easy recipe please?

winnie231, Aug 14, 8:16am
My cookbooks are packed at the moment so I'm bumping this up in the hope that 245sam sees it ... she has a big collection of Allison Holst & can probably help.

white_elephant, Aug 17, 8:18am
Thanks winnie, this recipe was invented by Allison for a magazine or paper article or something. I remember I had to write away for it.

245sam, Aug 17, 10:55am
white_elephant, winnie231 [** Hi there Rae:-)) **] is so right - I do indeed have a big collection of Alison's books and IMO most of the recipes, including those she has written for newspapers, etc. , do at some time appear in one or more of her cookbooks. I've had a quick look at some of Alison's earlier books and haven't found any recipes called 'Budget Biscuits' so I wonder if you're able to post more details re the biscuits e. g. flavour, etc. ? ?
In the 1st edition of Alison's 'Dollars and Sense Cookbook' I found a recipe for "Plain Biscuits" which "makes the equivalent weight of 4 x 200g packets of biscuits" - could this be the recipe that you're wanting? ? :-))

kob, Aug 17, 5:51pm
I have one that uses 1 pound of butter and makes about 100 biscuits but im not sure if its a AH recipe it could be

white_elephant, Aug 17, 6:57pm
From what I remember, rolled oats for sure and golden syrup I think.

indy95, Aug 17, 8:57pm
I remember a radio programme during which Alison talked about feeding a family on a very strict budget and she gave a recipe for a plain biscuit very similar to the Condensed Milk Biscuit recipe.

katalin2, Aug 17, 11:52pm
I have the recipe I think you want- it is called Colleen's Biscuits, you melt it the golden syrup etc in a big pot and just add the dry ingreds; it had rolled oats in it; I always added dark choc morsels as well as an extra; and it makes something like 72 biscuits. I cut it out from the paper about 30 years ago then it appeared in one of her early kitchen diaries which I still have. I used to make it all the time for school lunches and a double batch to take camping each year to Golden Bay... . at work at the moment, unless someone puts it up in the mean time, will dig it out when I get home.

kob, Aug 18, 3:23am
Indy that thread does have very very budget baking in it, from plain janes like gingernuts and homemade crackers right through to cheesecakse and flash gatauex so check it out

indy95, Aug 18, 3:38am
Thanks, kob. That thread has some great recipes in it.

delihank, Aug 18, 5:16am
hi there not sure if im blind but where is the thread you go to for these recipes... . thanks

delihank, Aug 18, 6:09am
great thanks

cottagerose, Aug 18, 6:37am
I hope its ok that I copied and pasted this from a thread on here posted by Cap.
I made this the other day and it was the best ever. It made alot and I divided into three and did one choc chips, one raisins and one cocoa and peanuts

500g/ 1 lb Butter
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon salt
Vanilla
1 cup sugar
6 teaspoons baking powder
6 cups flour

Cream butter, sugar, cond milk. Add dry ingredients. Roll in to balls and flatten with fork. Bake moderate oven 12 minutes. These freeze well and thaw quickly. Can also add chocolate chips, milo, peanuts, cocoa and my fave when we were kids - jelly chrystals

katalin2, Aug 18, 6:57am
Colleen's Biscuits- from Alison Holst's Kitchen Diaries no 4
Makes about 100 biscuits:
250gm butter
3/4 C Golden Syrup
1 t BSoda
1/4 C warm water
2 C flour
1 1/2 C sugar ( I use 1 C sugar + 1/2 C choc chips or morsels)
2 C coconut
2 C rolled oats

Melt butter in large saucepan-add the GSyrup and remove the pot from heat as soon there are no lumps of butter in the mixture. Do NOT boil the mixture.
Stir the BSoda and water together, ready to add.
Add the remaining ingredients into the pot, then add the soad and water.
Mix well until everything is combined.

Put the mixture in tsp lots on cold trays, leaving room for spreading.

Bake 180deg for 12 minutes, until biscuits are a rich golden brown.

Note: if the biscuits on the first tray spread too much, stir in a little extra flour to the remaining mixture- if they don't spread enough, add a little extra water or milk and remember to use a little less generous measures of dry ingredients the next time.

( I also used to add 1/2 C of currants, according to my notes)

Hope this is the one you are looking for. I think I used to make it using a desert spoon rather than a teaspoon as I don't remember getting 100.

white_elephant, Aug 18, 7:29am
Thanks alot katalin2, I'm sure that is it, it all seems familar except I don't remember the coconut. I do remember that it never made as many as promised, I guess I used dessert spoons too. They always spread alot but boy we loved them. I'll be making them this weekend.

katalin2, Feb 5, 4:44pm
Pleased it is the one- I haven't made it for years and years- think I will have to make some at the weekend as well now! With all that roughage, it is practically health food- apologies to the food police in advance.