Miracles (choc cupcakes wth jam filling)

...jackfrost..., Aug 11, 7:44pm
I am looking for a very old fashioned recipe called miracles. They are little chocolate cupcakes with a jam filling that absorbs into the cake. I would love this recipe if anyone has it!

rainrain1, Aug 11, 7:54pm
Miracles

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tb cocoa
1tsp creme of tarter
1 egg
1 Tb syrup
1/2tsp baking soda dissloved in milk
2oz melted butter
Mix first 6 ingred usual method, then add soda and melted butter.
paper cases. Scoop out top when cooked and fill with rasp jam. replace top and ice with choc icing

245sam, Aug 11, 9:57pm
... jackfrost... , here's a recipe from my secondary school's fund raising recipe book of 1971. It's very very easy to make and the little cakes are lovely - moist and chocolatey - this recipe is very similar to the recipe at #2... . .

"Miracles"
1 cup flour
1 tsp each of baking powder and baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp cocoa
½ cup each of sugar and milk
2 tbsp golden syrup
55g butter (melted)
1 egg (beaten)

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa together, then add the sugar and mix it through lightly, with a fork.
Carefully and gently warm the golden syrup in the milk without allowing it to boil. Remove from the heat and add the melted butter, then the beaten egg. Add the dry ingredients and carefully mix all together. Place the mixture into patty pans or patty papers.
Bake at 180ºC-200ºC. Allow to become cold then either
a) ice the top of each cake with chocolate icing and decorate as desired
OR
b) scoop out of the top of each cake with a tsp, then add a small spoon of raspberry and replace the top of the cake and ice with chocolate icing
OR
c) make butterfly cakes by scooping out the top of each cake with a tsp, then adding a small spoon of whipped cream and replacing the top piece of cake, cut into 2 and placed to resemble wings. :-))

...jackfrost..., Aug 12, 3:01am
Wow thanks so much for the recipes, I can't believe how fast that was!

manukabank, Aug 12, 5:42am
These sound very yummy. Does anyone else have their version of these?

winnie231, Aug 12, 5:51am
x1
Mum used to make these ... many, many years ago - lol!
As I'm sitting in her house - I'll go dig out her battered & burnt recipe folder & find her version ...

winnie231, Aug 12, 6:12am
Mum's version is the same as what rainrain1 posted ... and it was added to her collection over 50 years ago ...
goes to show - good recipes will last generations! ! !

manukabank, Aug 12, 7:17am
Mmmmm, I think I will make these this weekend.

manukabank, Aug 15, 7:55am
rainrain1, How much milk is needed in your recipe above please?

winnie231, Aug 15, 8:02am
manukabank - it's 1/2C of milk

kiwikid1, Aug 15, 8:48am
ah good old miracles me and mum used to make these when kids must make some on my day off

manukabank, Aug 16, 9:31am
Thanks for the milk amount rainrain1.

rainrain1, Sep 18, 3:55am
1 mnth 2 days later.......Oh sooooory!1/2 cup....

yiayia, Apr 27, 2:02am
If I remember you bake these higher up in the oven and they will raise high in the middle like a mountain. Will try tonight and confirm.