Any "no bake" slice recipes around?

Page 1 / 3
sarahb5, Feb 6, 12:32am
Need to make stuff for the kids lunch boxes for next week but its way too hot to put the oven on and actually bake anything. Has anyone got a recipe I can use that will make something yummy without the oven being on?

245sam, Feb 6, 12:43am
sarahb5, here's a couple of options... . .

APRICOT FUDGE CAKE
115g butter
85g brown sugar
½ x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
1 x 250g packet wine biscuits, crushed
½ cup firmly packed, chopped dried apricots
caster sugar

Heat the butter, brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk just until the butter melts. Remove from the heat and add the biscuits and the apricots. Mix well, then press the mixture into a greased and base-lined 19cm square tin. Allow to set for a few minutes, then sprinkle the top with caster sugar. Set in the refrigerator, then cut into fingers.

FUDGE CAKE
115g each of butter and sugar
1 egg
1/2 tbsp milk
1/4 cup sultanas (optional)
1 tbsp cocoa
1/4 cup walnuts
1 tsp vanilla essence
225g plain biscuits (crumbed)

Melt the butter and sugar together, then add the egg, milk and sultanas. Cook for a few minutes – DO NOT BOIL – then add the biscuits, cocoa, walnuts and vanilla essence. Remove from the heat and press into a tin. When set, ice with chocolate icing.
Note: The sultanas and walnuts may both be omitted and 1 cup seedless raisins used instead.

Have you thought of the good old Lolly Cake, or maybe, you regard that as a treat for your children? :-))

245sam, Feb 6, 12:47am
x1
and here's another recipe that you might like... . .

Alison Holst's CITRUS SLICE
from Alison:"This is one of our family favourites. We flavour it with finely grated rind and juice from lemons, oranges, mandarins and tangelos in season. "

Base:
100g butter
¾ cup (½ can) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup coconut
grated rind of 1 or 2 citrus fruit(see below)**
1 x 200g packet wine biscuits, crumbed

Melt the butter. Add the condensed milk, coconut, finely grated rind of **1 largeor 2 small lemons, oranges, mandarins or tangelos, and the biscuit crumbs. Mix well, then press into a lightly buttered or sprayed square or rectangular tin or dish. Over the top spread the

Icing:
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp soft butter
citrus fruit juice

Mix the icing sugar with the soft butter, then add juice, a few drops at a time, to make an icing consistency. Spread with a knife and decorate with a fork if desired. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares or rectangles and store in the refrigerator. :-))

sarahb5, Feb 6, 12:49am
x1
Thanks for those - citrus slice sounds good - unfortunately although my kids aren't that fussy about most foods apricots and walnuts are two of the very few things they won't eat

245sam, Feb 6, 12:56am
you're welcome sarahb5.

Re the apricots and walnuts - the Apricot Slice is sooo nice as is that I've never thought of any alternative to the apricots (which obviously would make it something other than apricot slice! ! ) but as for the walnuts - did you note that " The sultanas and walnuts may both be omitted and 1 cup seedless raisins used instead. "Do your children like sultanas and/or raisins? If so I suggest that you omit the walnuts and add extra sultanas or raisins and... . . if sultanas and/or raisins are not an option, then I see no reason why they too could not be omitted and you'd still have a yummy chocolate slice. :-))

pam.delilah, Feb 6, 3:47am
x1
Uncooked PASSIONFRUIT SLICE
Base:
Buttered slice tray
200g butter
Two packets round-wine biscuits or similar
½ a can of condensed milk
¼ cup Tasti passionfruit pulp in sweetened syrup (available in supermarkets)
¼ cup desiccated coconut
Melt butter over gentle heat. Crush biscuits. Add condensed milk and passionfruit pulp to melted butter then whisk to combine.
Mix in biscuits and coconut then press into prepared tray and flatten with a rolling pin.
Icing:
1 Tbsp butter, softened
2 Tbsp cream cheese, gelatine-free, at room temperature
4 Tbsp Tasti passionfruit pulp in sweetened syrup
2 cups icing sugar
Cream together butter and cream cheese. Mix in the passionfruit then work in the icing sugar to a smooth consistency.
Spread over the base, chill and cut when cold. Keep covered in fridge until required.

pam.delilah, Feb 6, 3:48am
White chocolate, cranberry and pistachio hedgehog slice

¾ cup (180ml) sweetened condensed milk
60g butter, chopped
180g white chocolate, chopped coarsely
150g plain sweet biscuits
½ cup (65g) dried cranberries
1/3 cup (45g) roasted unsalted pistachios

Grease an 8cm x 26cm bar pan; line base with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over long sides.

Stir condensed milk and butter in small saucepan over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat; add chocolate, stir until smooth.

Break biscuits into small pieces; place in a large bowl with cranberries and nuts. Stir in chocolate mixture.

Spread mixture into pan, cover; refrigerate about 3 hours or overnight until firm. Cut into 12 slices.

pam.delilah, Feb 6, 3:49am
No Bake Nutella Slice

4 oz butter 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup nutella 1/2 cup honey 1/2 cup raisins or sultanas 3 cups mixed oats or muesli( rolled oats, whole oats, bran, oat bran, seeds)

Mix butter, sugar, Nutella & honey in a pot & bring to the boil. Stir constantly, reduce heat & stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in oats & raisins, mix well. Press into a tray lined with cling wrap & chill until firm. Cut into slices or cubes & serve. This recipes may be frozen.

pam.delilah, Feb 6, 3:52am
x1
Kellogg’s muesli bars
1 Tbsp honey,
2 Tbsp low fat margarine,
250g white marshmallows,
3 cups Kellogg’s® Nutri-Grain®,
3 cups Kellogg’s® Just Right®,
1/4 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds,
1 Tbsp toasted almonds, roughly chopped.

Place the honey, low fat margarine and marshmallows into a medium sized bowl. Microwaveon high for 1-2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds until almost fully melted. Take out of microwave and add the Kellogg’s® Nutri-Grain®, Kellogg’s® Just Right®, apricots, sesame seeds and almonds to the marshmallow mixture and combine well.
Pour the mix into a lined 30cm x 20cm baking tin and smooth out the surface until even. Allow to cool. Cut into 4 inch bars.
Add extra dried fruits like sultanas, pineapple and banana chips. Makes 12 (approx. )

pam.delilah, Feb 6, 3:53am
Special k bars

Vegetable cooking spray,
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar,
1/2 cup honey,
1/3 cup peanut butter,
5 cups Kellogg's® Special K®, or cornflakes
1/2 cup sultanas.

Coat 30x21cm slab tin with cooking spray, then set aside.
Place honey and sugar in a saucepan. cover medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbly.
Remove from heat.
Stir in peanut butter.
Add Kellogg's® Special K or cornflakesand sultanas.
Stir until well coated.
With the back of a spoon, press the mixture evenly and firmly into the tin.
Stand until cool.

vinee, Feb 6, 4:32am
What are we using for wine bikkies lately?
The last few times I got some they were too yuk for fudge.
I actually threw one lot out and got malt bikkies.
The other lot I ended up sort of frying them in the butter to get some flavour going!
Comments...

vinee, Feb 6, 4:38am
Coffee or ginger fudge

1 tin condensed milk
2 packets of "wine" bikkies
250g butter

For the coffee one I add a tablespoon of super strong coffee and then ice with buttery coffee icing and top with walnuts.

For the ginger one I add a teaspoon of ginger and then ice with ginger crunch icing
100g butter
1c icing
2T golden syrup
4t ginger
with the addition of chopped crystallised ginger and walnuts.

lulu239, Feb 6, 6:03am
Vinee, I always use Super Wine. I used Round Wine once and it changed the slice. I went to make my trusty slice the other day and had to use malt and that also changed the slice. I normally have a double pack of Super Wine on hand but didn't at that time.

alebix, Feb 6, 6:38am
I use arrowtroot biscuits or malt biscuits.

korban, Feb 6, 7:02am
Mum used preserved ginger instead of apricots. She also sprinkles coconut on the top not sugar.

245sam, Feb 6, 7:07am
korban, I love ginger too so thanks for that, I must try making a ginger version of the Apricot Slice but I'll stick with the caster sugar though as I prefer that to coconut. :-))

korban, Feb 6, 7:47am
I don't like ginger at all! ! ! I much prefer apricots in mine and coconut! Enjoy

tansey, Feb 6, 7:48am
Heres a great slice that is done in the microwave. It's a chocolate, coconut rough.
1 cup Self raising flour, 1 Cup Coconut, Half Cup sugar, quarter cup cocoa, 2 desertspoon golden syrup, 150 gram butter.
Mix all the dry ingredients in bowl. Melt the butter and add golden syrup. Stir to mix through then pour into the dry mix and blend all together.
Press into flat microwave dish. I actually use a cardboard frame. Good size is 250 x 200.
Microwave on med/high for just 3 minutes.
Cut it while hot and ice with chocolate icing.
Yum. Goes down treat.

vinee, Feb 6, 9:44am
yeah I always use SW but they have changed the formula and now they are yuk.
I make the chocky one with either malt or sw so that's safe but the coffee or ginger ones are in danger of becoming extinct!
I tried a few other plain bikkies but they're just not the same.

sarahb5, Feb 21, 3:31am
I guess you could use other cereal for this couldn't you - hubby got some muesli with apricots in by mistake as he doesn't like apricots so I suppose I could use it up like this couldn't I?

sarahb5, Feb 21, 3:32am
Or maybe I could use the "wrong" cereal for this one instead of the oats and raisins - will give it a go

sarahb5, Feb 6, 12:32am
Need to make stuff for the kids lunch boxes for next week but its way too hot to put the oven on and actually bake anything.Has anyone got a recipe I can use that will make something yummy without the oven being on!

245sam, Feb 6, 12:43am
sarahb5, here's a couple of options.

APRICOT FUDGE CAKE
115g butter
85g brown sugar
½ x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
1 x 250g packet wine biscuits, crushed
½ cup firmly packed, chopped dried apricots
caster sugar

Heat the butter, brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk just until the butter melts.Remove from the heat and add the biscuits and the apricots.Mix well, then press the mixture into a greased and base-lined 19cm square tin.Allow to set for a few minutes, then sprinkle the top with caster sugar.Set in the refrigerator, then cut into fingers.

FUDGE CAKE
115g each of butter and sugar
1 egg
1/2 tbsp milk
1/4 cup sultanas (optional)
1 tbsp cocoa
1/4 cup walnuts
1 tsp vanilla essence
225g plain biscuits (crumbed)

Melt the butter and sugar together, then add the egg, milk and sultanas. Cook for a few minutes – DO NOT BOIL – then add the biscuits, cocoa, walnuts and vanilla essence. Remove from the heat and press into a tin. When set, ice with chocolate icing.
Note: The sultanas and walnuts may both be omitted and 1 cup seedless raisins used instead.

Have you thought of the good old Lolly Cake, or maybe, you regard that as a treat for your children!:-))

245sam, Feb 6, 12:47am
and here's another recipe that you might like.

Alison Holst's CITRUS SLICE
from Alison:"This is one of our family favourites.We flavour it with finely grated rind and juice from lemons, oranges, mandarins and tangelos in season."

Base:
100g butter
¾ cup (½ can) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup coconut
grated rind of 1 or 2 citrus fruit(see below)**
1 x 200g packet wine biscuits, crumbed

Melt the butter.Add the condensed milk, coconut, finely grated rind of **1 largeor 2 small lemons, oranges, mandarins or tangelos, and the biscuit crumbs.Mix well, then press into a lightly buttered or sprayed square or rectangular tin or dish.Over the top spread the

Icing:
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp soft butter
citrus fruit juice

Mix the icing sugar with the soft butter, then add juice, a few drops at a time, to make an icing consistency.Spread with a knife and decorate with a fork if desired.Refrigerate until firm.Cut into squares or rectangles and store in the refrigerator.:-))

245sam, Feb 6, 12:56am
you're welcome sarahb5.

Re the apricots and walnuts - the Apricot Slice is sooo nice as is that I've never thought of any alternative to the apricots (which obviously would make it something other than apricot slice!) but as for the walnuts - did you note that " The sultanas and walnuts may both be omitted and 1 cup seedless raisins used instead."Do your children like sultanas and/or raisins!If so I suggest that you omit the walnuts and add extra sultanas or raisins and.if sultanas and/or raisins are not an option, then I see no reason why they too could not be omitted and you'd still have a yummy chocolate slice.:-))