BBQ Recipes.... including 245sam Meatball

Page 1 / 13
valentino, Sep 10, 3:39am
with red sauce recipe... Have added a number of new recipes in the trademecooks website and also the above recipe as my son used it but he added an extra half measure of the sauce and had spaghetti to go with it, it was very nice... . .

Now still looking for more special BBQ recipes but please feel free to browse what has been added etc etc and give some feedback... Am looking to fine tune it in time. Cheers to everyone.

valentino, Sep 11, 1:27am
Oh, that link in full ... . (http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewforum. php? f=35)Just copy the link, paste into your address bar on your web browser and press enter. Once there, one can save it (if one wished to) as a favourite, by adding to Favourites that is next to the Tools in your web browser. Cheers.

wron, Sep 17, 10:44am
Keeping alive as about to die Bump

valentino, Sep 17, 9:02pm
Was wondering wether to start another thread re BBQ recipes, what has one done very recently... Last weekend, my son help with my rubbish and then I put on the BBQ the following recipe. Prior to it, discussed wether topside as one knows can be cooked and be dry or Bolar has one had both in the freezer, oh, Highland Beef by the way. As it turned out, put both on. Upon carving after a resting time, called my son in to sample a little of both prior to serving, He noted one was slightly better than the other in overal taste, texture, moisture etc... and that bit was the Topside, he was totally surprised how good it turned out. So here goes and enjoy this beauty... this summer.

valentino, Sep 17, 9:05pm
Rotisserie Mustard Beef, 1. 5kg-2kg topside beef,
2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard,
1 tablespoon crushed garlic,
2 tablespoons olive oil,
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper,
Combine mustard, garlic, oil, salt and pepper.
Spoon marinade over beef and rub in well.
Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow flavours to intensify.
Pre-heat barbecue to 200 degrees celsius using burners 2 and 5 (6burner) or 1 and 4 (4 burner).
Using a knife, make a tunnel through the meat.
Thread meat onto rotisserie rod and secure with prongs.
Attach meat to rotisserie and close hood.
Cook for 30 minutes per 500g for medium-rare beef. I cooked it for 2hours plus 15 minutes for a 2. 1kg plus a 1. 8 kg Meats. Was about 4-5 minutes slightly over but beautiful. Cheers.

valentino, Sep 17, 9:13pm
And a wee hint if one has a Battery Powered unit on the rotisserie... I love direct power, that is the one that plugs into main power supply. I also had this battery unit and this is what one did. One had (keep all the old Mobile phone chargers, deleted models that is) one of Nokia's old phone charger and it had an output of 3. 7 v, that is point 7 over 3v as two batteries is 3v. Anyway, cut a block of wood to fit where batteries normal goes, staple the bared wires of charger on one end of wood to make contact with uniy terminals then inserted into unit. Plugged it in, die the above recipe, no problems, asa noted one also have a main power one but thought I try this. Cheers.

valentino, Sep 17, 9:15pm
Spelling errors, gosh my finger is not right today die is did, uniy is unit and no a in asa. Sorry.

valentino, Sep 17, 9:31pm
With the above recipe, one also added to the BBQ the following recipe. But I cut and extra cuts like a asterick look cuts down about 1/3 then pushed the sharp end of knife into the middle, wrapped in foil and placed on the surface of grill... Then upon serving, each one of us put a little left over garlic butter (did Garlic Bread as well) into the potatoes. Was lovely.

valentino, Sep 17, 9:34pm
BBQ Potatoes in Foil Pierce four large potatoes with fork, wrap individually in foil.
Cook potatoes in covered BBQ using indirect heat for about 1 hour or until cooked through. (I put them in soon after meat was in, so about 2 hours, but up to each desire).
Gently squeeze with tongs to open, top with one of the following toppings:-

valentino, Sep 17, 9:35pm
Toppings for above, ( some suggestions given), Avocado & Tomato Salsa; 1 medium avocado finely chopped, 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped and 1 tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley combined in small bowl.
Serve on hot potatoes.

Pesto Butter; 125g butter softened, ¼ c pine nuts toasted chopped, ¼ c finely grated parmesan cheese, ¼ c bottled basil pesto and ¼ tsp cracked black pepper. Beat butter in small bowl with electric beaters until light and creamy, stir in remaining ingredients. Cover tightly, refrigerate until firm. Serve on hot potatoes.

Bacon & Cheese; 3 rashers bacon sliced thinly, 1 c grated cheddar cheese and 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives. Cook bacon, drain, sprinkle cheese over hot potatoes then top with bacon and chives.

Sour Cream with Sweet Chilli Sauce: ¾ c sour cream, 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce and 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander all combined in medium bowl then spoon onto hot potatoes.

darlingmole, Sep 17, 10:16pm
G'morning Valentino Wow that's really interesting to hear that topside roast works out well on the barbie. Wish I'd bought that roast at PaknSave the other day now. Glad it's 'nearly' bbq weather (still chilly in the evening here) and spend less time eating cooked veges and more salads

darlingmole, Sep 17, 10:21pm
you know what we like on the bbq? Fresh sweetcorn cooked in it's husk. Takes a while (not quite as long as potatoes) but it's really delicious. And we love vegetable kebabs: capsicum/onion/mushroom/eggpla-
nt/courgette and serve with a homemade dressing (normally balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, olive oil, few fresh herbs thrown in from the garden). Flip! I'm actually REALLY looking forward to bbqing now! (just not looking forward to cleaning it after last summer though ha ha)

valentino, Sep 17, 11:02pm
darlingmole... . Firstly, thank you for your comments. We were quite surprised at the topside, there was 4 adults plus an International Student plus 5 children and they all loved the meat. Re cleaning BBQ, one can get those BBQ liners, they save heaps of time re cleaning, especially for the hot plate, also the diffusers under the grill actually helps a lot in keeping the BBQ clean, just simply take them out after use and wash as normal. Another thing, I always use drip trays under bigger pieces of meat and looking further, one could actually put the shallow ones under the grill on top of the diffusers providing it does not hinder the heat flow. This could be looked at, (just thinking on this, could be worth a try though). And your comment re corn etc, being noted and will add soon if you do not mind. Cheers

valentino, Sep 17, 11:14pm
And darlingmole... . . Look at the following link, at the bottom of page one in this link is a section on vegetables, placed it seperate from the other topic of Vegetables as refers to Hooded BBQ Recipes, let us know your thoughts please. (http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=35&t=775). Is yours done in a closed hooded BBQ or directly on an open BBQ? Just so it can go to it's correct section. Cheers.

valentino, Sep 21, 2:02am
Last weekend did some smoked fish on BBQ... . Firstly bought some whole fish like 5 snappers and an Alphonso (the latter to try for first time - interesting fish). Have trays with wire racks in them but used one larger one rack only. Also had a couple of wire racks ex Pak'n'Save ( about $7 for pack of 2) plus metal skewers From PnS as well. Now wth the big rack upside down, handles became feet, bent some skewers into shape and wired the two smaller racks together to make one long rack with bent skewers as supports wired the double above the big rack to do a double tray style for middle of BBQ. Used soaked Manuka wood shavings in smoker boxes (2, one for each burney - burners 2 & 5 on 6 burner). Continued... .

valentino, Sep 21, 2:09am
Continued from #15... . . Did a Fisher recipe re Rub etc... that was 1 part non iodised salt to 3 parts brown sugar, did a few slashes in each side of fish, rubbed the rub into cuts and skin of both sides of fish into a non - metallic dish covered with wrap and refrigerate overnight. The following day, washed each under cold running water then pat dry with paper towels then allow to dry in these racks for a couple of hours. Then brushed each side with a mixture of soy sauce and olive oil with a little brown sugar only to thicken mixture. Started number 2 and 5burners on high, placed smoker boxes one on each ( have BBQ diffusers - turnrd these upside down for boxes to be very close to actual burners then placed fish in racks in middle of BBQ away from the direct heat... Continued... .

valentino, Sep 21, 2:16am
Continued from #16... . . Oh before placing fish, ensure the wood smoke boxes are starting to smoke, once smoking place fish as noted, close hood, turn burners down to low... . One may or find that one needs to replenish smoke boxes again with more soaked wood chips, I remove the middle hot plate only having the two grills, I slid the grills with fish to one end of BBQ to do the replenish and reignite the smoking chips then slide the grills to other end of BBQ and repeat for other box etc etc then slide grills back to the middle and continue as before with hood closed. Did this for about an hour in total. Fish was delightful. That was for whole fish. Oh the heads etc into a saucepan later on and made fish soup, very nice as well. Now I will still go back to what one does normally though. Continued... .

valentino, Sep 21, 2:21am
Contiued from #17 And that is still have whole fish but to cut of fillets with skins on by slicing along the backbone and do all as above. One needed to try whole just to see what it's like but a lot of bones... However was very nice. Now one can have invted guest and be confident in doing above. A thought did occur to have a bigger smoke box but one could see that too much smoke is simplt too much and could come out too strong... Once again, the fish that we had was beautifully smoked and ideal. Oh, if one has some left over like I obviosly did, allow to cool completely before refrigerate. It is lovely cold as well. Yep, I love my fish. Cheers.

valentino, Sep 21, 2:24am
Oh, that Alphonso or alfonso (sp)... is only $5. 95 per kilo for whole fish. The one I got was about $4. 80 and came out very nice... Worth thinking of, if on a budget. Cheers.

wron, Sep 21, 10:46am
Hi Valentino What brand is your machine? I bought a broil king at the end of last season but have yet to assemble it - fairly sure it has flame diffusers above the burners. Have you tried pizza making?

valentino, Sep 21, 8:37pm
Footnote... to the above Smoked fish. Two days in the fridge, some very nicely chilled, flesh comes away from backbone very easy and it is beautiful, full texture and just very slightly moist - not completely dry which to me is very nice. I would now rate doing whole fish a 50/50 callwhole or fillets with skins on for smoking. Yep, will do this again. Cheers.

valentino, Sep 21, 8:42pm
To wron, Haven't tried pizza yet but will look at it in the very near future. Apparently ideal with a pizza stone which I have not got yet but is on my list to get and do. Re diffusers, one can get these readily available at most places. . I threw out my old BBQ during our last Council inorganic collection earlier this year. Recently purchased a Garth " Matador - Director 6 burner". It has a window in the hood and was very neat to view that beef recipe above being rotisseried, watching the marinade rub juices combined running with the rotation of the rotisserie. Also noting the smoke flow within BBQ whilst smoking the fish. Continued... . .

valentino, Sep 21, 8:50pm
Continued from #22... . Re wron. Had the initial teething thing mainly with the thermometer. The original one did not go back to the starting point after an overnight coolness, did show quite high temps hence went back to retailer, replaced. Once again too high temps showing, did a digital thermometer testing and sure enough, was not reading right so sent email directly to the manufacturer, grat service, sent me a new one, followed up with a phone call, had a great chat with the lady speaking, told me to try that topside recipe, gave me extra hints re use like using burners 2 and 5 instead of 1 and 6, puuting a dip tray on top of non used burners giving more cooking space within BBQ plus a few other nice thoughts. The biggest plus on this is the window and that the grills, hotplates (bought extra hotplate) are all reversible, can use either sides. Now with yours, assemble and get starting, your warranty could be expired hence any faults may be harder to remedy. Cheers.

valentino, Sep 21, 10:03pm
Just posted two images of rack... . BBQ smoking The close up view of what one did... (http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/69/106348669_full. jp
g)... and the other a fuller pic... (http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/28/106348628_full. jp
g)... Cheers.

deus701, Sep 21, 10:18pm
i wish i have a dad like you valentino or maybe... dad with cooking skills like you.