Lemon Meringue Pie-Help please

pangeafan, Aug 8, 10:47pm
My Son would like this for his birthday dessert. Could anyone give me a successful recipe as last years effort tasted good but the pastry and filling all kind of soaked in to each other! and could I make now and freeze it as i have lemons now but birthday in september.
Thank- You

levintofu, Aug 8, 10:56pm
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lemon-meringu
e-pie-recipe/index.html

and if your doing the crust from scratch

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pie-crust-rec
ipe/index.html

levintofu, Aug 8, 11:03pm
if you make the custard now and do the meringue at a later date the meringue will slide right off the filling when you cut the slices... and unless your doing a biscuit base you'll want to blind bake off the crust before filling.

kimkat1, Aug 8, 11:43pm
Juice your lemons and freeze them in ice cube trays, when frozen they will free flow in a bag and zest the lemons( whoops zest first juice second) and freeze in small amounts in gladwrap or glad bags, then just defrost some in september, I always buy my pastry and blind bake it then make a really simple lemon filling and cover with gladwrap while I make the meringue and then top and bake again. . I never have any trouble...

tets, Aug 9, 12:08am
Can someone please tell me why the meringue weeps and how do you stop that from happening?

levintofu, Aug 9, 12:51am
you have to pipe or spoon on the meringue as soon as you put the lemon filling in the pie (hot), and then immediately throw it in to the oven then you leave it in the oven, don't take it out till its done almost cooling (just a tad above room temp) and don't chill (in fridge) immediately after baking

marcs, Aug 9, 1:34am
I use Jo Seagars recipe and bake this for the restaurant that I work at every week (I make 3 every week actually) it is one of their best sellers. Will post the recipe shortly. It will be slightly amended as I make my own pastry.

marcs, Aug 9, 1:40am
Pastry... .

250g flour
125g icing sugar
90g butter
1 egg
1/2 tbs - 1 tbs milk

I use food processor. Put flour and icing sugar in. Blend. Add butter with the processor running till butter is well combined with the flour. Stop the processor, add egg and a dash of milk. pluse till you feel it come together then put all on the bench and knead together till smooth. If too dry, add a bit more milk. If too wet add some flour. Chill for 1/2 hour till ready to roll out. This will fit a tin upto 25cm.
I roll between two glad wrap then peel one side off the fit into the tin. I butter and flour my tin first. Bake (this will be the hard part as I use industrial oven). Blind bake at 150c for half hour. Take out the weights and bake in the oven at same temp for 20 mins or until lightly brown and it feels cooked. Let it cool.

player_smurf, Aug 9, 3:07am
Jo Seagars is the best! Have made this numerous times and it is always a great success!

marcs, Aug 9, 4:25am
very yummy 200gms or so of sweet pastry.

FILLING
400g can of condensed milk
1/2 c lemon juice
1 Ts leom rind
5 egg yokes

MERINGUE
5 egg whites
1 1/2c caster sugar

roll pastry and line the dish chill for 30mins, then bake blind for 20minutes @ 180 untill golden

now for filling mixx all ingredients 2gether and pour into cooked shellpour into cooked shell.

meringue beat egg whites untill stif peaks form gradually beat in sugaruntill mixture is glossy pile over lemon filling
back in a low oven for 20-25 mins @ 130-150

sooo yum very sweet though a jo seager fav

pangeafan, Aug 9, 5:49am
Thank you everybody will try these ideas

melisk, Apr 27, 11:58pm

marcs, Apr 28, 2:05am
I never been able to freeze lemon meringue pie. I make jo seagars recipe and it is very yum and sucessfull. I would suggest to freeze lemon juice and make it closer to the time or buy some lemons and make it when the time comes.