Are Bran Muffins Meant To rise

cybertech, Aug 8, 5:16am
just that, are they meant to rise I got the recipe off that kiwi site and they do have B. powder in them but they are moving. . lol dont taste too bad but if anyone has a nicer recipe I would be most thankful TIA please note I came on here to find one the other day and came across that kiwi site which is the recipe I made today. .

toadfish, Aug 8, 5:20am
Foolproof Bran Muffins.

Mix together:- 1 ½ cups Bran, ½ cup wheat germ, 1 ½ cups milk, 2 heaped Tbsp golden syrup Mix in 2 eggs and beat well. Stir the following dry ingredients together in a bowl 1 cup plain flour ½ cup wholemeal, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 rounded tsp (not heaped) Baking soda, ½ tsp salt. Fold these into the wet mix DON’T over mix or beat as this results in tough muffins Bake at 180 C for about 20 mins in well greased DEEP muffin pans .

The addition of about 1-1 ½ cups of dried fruit makes yummy muffins, I have also added grated apple & cinamon, .

margyr, Aug 8, 5:22am
With most muffins, you need to 3/4 fill the muffin case, especially so with bran muffins as they are rather dense and dont seem to rise too much.

cybertech, Aug 8, 5:29am
sorry to be ignorant toadfish but what is wheat germ? TIA and is it available at the supermarket?

245sam, Aug 8, 7:12am
Obviously I'm not toadfish cybertech, but here are the answers to your questions

"Wheat germ is a part of the wheat kernel. The germ is only a very small part of the kernel, approximately 2 ½ percent in total. The word germ does not have anything to do with bacteria; it simply refers to germination. The germ is the reproductive part that germinates and forms the wheat grass. " - from:-
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-wheat-germ.htm

and wheatgerm can be found at health shops and at most supermarkets where you should find it among the baking items such as flour, bran, etc.

Hope that helps. :-))

cybertech, Aug 8, 11:44pm
Thanks so much 245 I really appreciate that! I'm just an amuture at baking my hubby does all the cooking in our house, but I have taken a liking to baking so far so good apart from the no rise bran muffins. . lol

macandrosie, Aug 10, 9:04am
I think it helps if they have baking powder & baking soda too.

elliehen, Jan 14, 9:52am
Sultanas go well with bran in a muffin :)