Cooking for one question

coolthree, Aug 7, 11:21pm
I have been a active home and commercial cook, now living solo i'm struggling to find appliances that suit meals for one, have got the smallest slow cooker i could find, it's not bad. My apartment supplies free gas ( well nothings free it's built into our body corp fee's ) I work from early 6. 00am and return at 6. 00pm. Are there any appliances that are suitable for my situation. Just don't have the energy to cook from scratch after a full on day? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

davidt4, Aug 7, 11:25pm
Do you have a freezer? You could make a casserole to yield four servings, eat one and freeze the others for later.

bluecalico, Aug 7, 11:36pm
What about a bench top oven... ... heat up ever so quickly and are ideal for smaller households. Stir fries etc. will suit you... . . soups etc. too.

coolthree, Aug 7, 11:55pm
Thank's davidt4 yeah have a small freezer i only buy organic food now day's so it's pretty much full. Was wondering if theres a small pressure cooker i could use on the gas stove top. ? ? ?

buzzy110, Aug 8, 1:13am
coolthree I have an Easy Cook and I think it is the best appliance in existence. I too, often have to cook just for one.

You can throw in a couple of lamb chops and a small potato along with a small baking paper packet of courgettes, capsicum, mushrooms, carrot and parsnip tossed in oil and cook the whole lot for about 35 - 40 mins. All you need to do is throw a single serve of green beans/brussel sprouts or whatever into a wee pot and steam till cooked.

Unfortunately it is a meal without any delicious sauce but as I wouldn't bother with the potato I'd feel free to gently simmer some cream till it was thick and then throw in some grated cheese and paprika and serve it over my greens.

You could even make another packet of prepared, blanched beans with baby tomatoes and ripped basil (maybe an anchovy as well) with oil and cook in The Easy Cook at the same time.

Once it is in you can relax till the bell rings and your dinner is done.

debbiem3, Aug 8, 1:20am
I'm with the posters suggesting an Easy Cook - one of the best appliances I've ever bought. In fact, it's on now with three big potatoes baking for my dinners during the week - zapped in the microwave with some topping - yum. I've got a couple of smallish casserole dishes that are perfect in it for doing veges and chicken pieces - makes clean up a bit easier too.

pamellie, Aug 8, 1:55am
buzzy110 wrote:
coolthree I have an Easy Cook and I think it is the best appliance in existence.

What's an easy cook?

buzzy110, Aug 8, 2:15am
It is an appliance that sits on your bench. It has a big glass bowl and in the lid is the power/heat source. It roasts and bakes and is brilliant for doing meat and vegetables instead of using your great big oven. They sell them at Noel Leeming.

If you happen to be one of those people who watches morning TV or infomercials you will have seen a similar product that cooks by infra red or something. I've never used one of those so can't comment.

nauru, Aug 8, 8:13am
There are always plenty of these ovens for sale on TM, usually under convection ovens. I have one of these too and can't praise it enough. It is great just for the two of us and saves heaps on the power account too.

duckmoon, Aug 8, 8:34am
snap, that was what I was thinking

dragonzflame, Aug 9, 2:11am
I often do this. My partner is allergic to heaps of things I love, so I'll often just cook up a 4-6 serving recipe and divide it into several meals for me to reheat on days when he's out, or I just feel like something he can't have. If you don't have a lot of freezer space, ziplock bags are excellent as you can squish them flat and stack 'em.

lythande1, Jan 8, 5:43pm
A wok. fast. Simple.