That Takaka ginger crunch

samsnan, Aug 7, 4:28am
Just to warn you all please stick to what the recipe says and dont do what I did. I didnt wait for it to go cold before I spread the icing on it. Bad idea. What was I thinking silly lady. It will still taste good but the icing wont look quite like the picture.

winnie231, Aug 7, 5:39am
I'm sure it'll still taste great samsnan ... it is soooo good!
My weekly trip into Takaka always started with a coffee & slice at The Wholemeal Cafe where the recipe comes from. It was always a hard choice to make between the ginger slice and their sticky lemon one!
I bought the recipe books before I left Golden Bay! ! !

samsnan, Aug 7, 5:43am
Winnie I have just cut it up in pieces. I think I may just put the icing I use for ordinary ginger crunch next time. This is still a little sticky. Cant wait to have have some with my cup of tea later tonight.

korbo, Aug 7, 7:32pm
ohhh sounds nice, can we have a recipe please

winnie231, Aug 7, 8:00pm
Here it is kob -

TAKAKA OATY GINGER CRUNCH from The Wholemeal Cafe, Takaka, Golden Bay

Melt:
150 gm butter
2 Tablespoons golden syrup (try to be precise - hold the spoon in boiling water before measuring golden syrup)
3/4 cup brown sugar

Mix together:
3/4 cup coconut
1 & 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup flour
1& 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1& 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger

Combine wet & dry mixes

Press into 20 x 20 cm pan

Bake 180* C for 25 minutes

When cool, ice with:
4 Tbsp butter
8 Tbsp icing sugar
4 teaspoons golden syrup
2 teaspoons ground ginger
Heat, melt, beat and pour hot icing over cool base

skippy33, Aug 7, 8:08pm
hi just off topic a bit, hubby had family in takaka, hasent seen them fr years, used to go stay with them when he was a kid any chance you heard of them winnie, gary and jane makey, know it a long shot but worth asking

winnie231, Aug 7, 9:01pm
Sorry - skippy ... don't think I know them. But then I lived 40km outside Takaka. Have you tried looking them up?
http://yellow.co.nz/whitepages/

skippy33, Jan 3, 5:10pm
ok cheers was worth a shot will try white pages