Caramelizing sweetened condensed milk.....

dian2, Aug 6, 5:13am
can it be done with the can open? or do i need to leave the lid on and then boil for how long?

thanks for your help!

rainrain1, Aug 6, 5:56am
Read this somewhere but have never tried it myself. Open the tin, pour the milk into a microwave-safe jug or bowl, give it about 2 minutes on high, then stir.

pam.delilah, Aug 6, 5:58am
Caramelized Milk
STOVETOP: Pour 1 can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk into top of double-boiler pan; cover. Place over boiling water. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 40 to 50 minutes, or until thick and light caramel-colored. Remove from heat. Beat until smooth.
OVEN: Preheat oven to 425° F. Pour 1 can (14 oz. ) Sweetened Condensed Milk into 9-inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in shallow pan (pan should be larger than pie plate). Fill pan with hot water. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until thick and light caramel-colored. Pour milk into small mixer bowl; beat until smooth.
MICROWAVE: Pour 1 can (14 oz. ) Sweetened Condensed Milk into large microwave-save bowl. Cook on MEDIUM (50%) power for 4 minutes, stirring halfway through heating time. Reduce power to MEDIUM-LOW (30%) power; cook for 8 to 12 minutes, stirring with wire whisk every few minutes, until thick and light caramel-colored.
Note: Microwave ovens may vary; adjust timing accordingly.

dian2, Aug 6, 8:03am
ahhh thanks for these!

looks like it's safe to take the cans off the boil now, wait to cool & if they're not golden enough i can finish in the microwave :-)

dian2, Aug 6, 9:41am
Omg :p, lucky i boiled 2 cans! this stuff is amazing!

sultana0, Jan 10, 4:16pm
I heat a can of it in the micro (in a micro bowl) til it bubbles approx 1 to 1 and a haif mins. Then add a good glop of Golden syrup (big dst spoon) to it and stir. It thickens and is yum az on icecream and other things. Its quick and easy