Equivalent of fresh chillies

maynard9, Feb 20, 7:42am
Could I please have your thoughts. Want to make a chutney that calls for "4 fresh chillies". My own aren't ready and have hunted the shops for some to no avail. I bought some of the 'minced chilli" in a jar. What are my fellow foodies opinions please as to the equivalent. I don't want to ruin all my lovely other ingreds by doing the wrong amount. I was thinking perhaps 1 teasp = 1 chilli. Was hoping it might say on jar - but no. I usually have all my own fresh ones but with teheweather this year that is not the case. Thanks for your help. Oh - it is a Peach and Plum Chutney I am making.

coralsnake, Feb 21, 3:46am
What type of chili is called for in the actual recipe?

When I was growing up in NZ many moons ago, there was only 1 chili as in the dried chili de arbo as used in the likes of Edmonds' tomato relish.
This is a medium heat chili i. e.
Rating #7Scoville unit 15, 000 to 29, 999along with the serrano & manzano.

Try your local supermarket or a specialty store i. e. asian, indian etc
for fresh chili.
It's up to you how much 'heat' you want in the chutney.

We used to have one growing wild around our property in Texas - if you used 4 fresh of these, they'd blow your soxs off as they were super hot yet they were so tiny!

I've just gone through my many South-Western cookbooks/books on salsas etc - the only peach chutney I could find use ginger!

Looked through some food websites - the only references I could find in a like recipe was:
3 tablespoons finely chopped jalepenos;
another 1 finely diced jalepeno [recipe was for 1. 5 pounds peaches];
minced seeded jalepeno.

Jalepeno are vailable in stores at the moment.
If you do use fresh, be careful when handling them - it's often a good idea to use disposal gloves and ensure you wash boards, utensils etc immediately.

Enjoy!

maynard9, Aug 26, 1:43am
Thanks for your comments and research. The funniest thing happened. I always wash my jars and have them heating in oven before putting all the ingreds together. I ran out of jars from my supply cupboard so had to go down under the house to my extra stash. These are jars that people have given to me with the labels still on - often smiling as they give them to me and saying things like "You can give it back to me full if you like". Would you believe here was a Masterfoods Minced Chilli jar with the label still nice and readable and to my delight it said 1 teasp = 1 fresh chilli. Problem solvedand chutney all made and put away - have saved a jar for the friend that I am pretty sure gave me the jar. What a great way to start my Sun.