What can I bake that uses just the yolks of eggs?

venna2, Aug 3, 3:48am
I belong to a small writers' group and we meet once a month at each others' houses where we take turns to put on a cuppa and eats.

It's my turn this Friday afternoon. I've made carrot cake in the past but although my writing friends seemed to like it okay, my daughter always complains that I put too much baking soda in carrot cakes.

Anyway, I thought I'd make a pavlova this time. As it will use egg whites, what is something else (not too difficult! ) that I can make with the yolks?

dbab, Aug 3, 3:59am
Some pastry recipes require an egg yolk. You could make custard too.

blt10, Aug 3, 4:09am
To use up yolks can make plum / berry tart, pumpkin pie

paghan, Aug 3, 4:12am
I sometimes make this.
EGG YOLK SPONGE CAKE
INGREDIENTS

3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons hot water (not boiling)
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup self raising flour, sifted
pinch salt, optional (I don't usually put in)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 180°C-if your oven is quite hot try 170°C.
2. Beat egg yolks and hot water till creamy then gradually add the sugar and beat till thick and pale.
3. Add salt and vanilla. Fold in the flour and milk alternately till combined.
4. Pour into a greased and lined 20cm round tin and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Split cake in half then fill with jam and whipped cream then dust with icing sugar.
5. Turn the oven down a bit if it's browning too fast.

245sam, Aug 3, 4:33am
venna2, how about a citrus (e. g. orange or lemon) curd topping for the pavlova - made with the leftover egg yolks? :-))

venna2, Aug 3, 4:33am
Thanks for these. Yes, sweet pastry takes an egg yolk, doesn't it. You're giving me something to think about. I'll make a decision in the next day or two so you can keep 'em coming!

venna2, Aug 3, 4:34am
That's an idea too. How would I make it exactly? Otherwise I'd planned to top the pavlova with whipped cream and kiwifruit.

antmannz, Aug 3, 4:47am
http://wanderingfood-lover. blogspot.com/2010/05/brioche-day-
keeps-doctor-at-bay.html

Try making these. A little bit of effort, but so worth it!

245sam, Aug 3, 4:58am
venna2, I have a microwave recipe for lemon curd that uses egg yolks + 1 egg and another recipe for an orange curd-type pavlova topping. Do you have a flavour preference?
I haven't actually used either of those recipes but I have enjoyed the pavlova and its orange topping and sometime ago my SIL topped a pavlova with a lemon curd type topping - both the topping options made the pavlovas just so special and really delicious. :-))

pamellie, Aug 3, 5:06am
Plum Pie

175g plain flour
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
90g butter
1 egg

Put all ingredients except egg into food processor, whiz 1 minute.
Beat egg and add to bowl, whiz briefly.
Press over base of tin.

300ml sour cream
2 egg yolks
30g caster sugar
1 large can (850g) black doris plums stoned and drained.

Arrange plums over pastry.
Beat sour cream, egg yolks and sugar together.
Pour over plums.

Bake above centre of oven 50 -55 minutes at 195 C.

venna2, Aug 3, 5:26am
Sorry but I have neither a food processor nor a microwave! However, that plum pie looks great and even if I don't make it for Friday I know I'll make it sometime, somehow. And I'll look at all these suggestions more thoroughly tomorrow.

ferita, Aug 3, 6:12am
Make mayonnaise

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Mayonnaise

pickles7, Aug 3, 6:58am
They just don't look that nice, do they?

raebea, Aug 3, 10:29am
when making pavlovas etc try to time it that you have some pastry on hand at the same time , then make a bacon & egg pie putting the extra yokes in the pie, makes it pretty good.

ruckass1, Aug 3, 11:06am
I agree

antmannz, Aug 3, 11:42pm
Try them - they tasted lovely

pamellie, Aug 4, 3:01am
You don't need a food processor, it's just quicker than using your hands the old fashioned way! I'm glad you like the sound of it as it really is delicious and a family favourite in this house.

blt10, Aug 4, 3:04am
Its really easy to make and I don't use the FP when making this. A nice dessert without being too heavy and can be eaten hot or cold.

venna2, Dec 24, 8:45am
I've 'cut and pasted' the recipe and will print it and keep it and try it soon!