Hangi pork?anyone bought this....

ava_kiana, Aug 1, 11:16pm
x1
obviously its for the hangi - BUT has anyone cooked it any other way before? i always see it at pak n save and do wonder wht its like...

ava_kiana, Aug 1, 11:17pm
in a slow cooker ? ? ? ? ?

bambi08, Aug 2, 6:09am
we always buy it. its so much cheaper and tastes just as good as any other we cook it in all the ways u would with normal

darlingmole, Aug 2, 8:37am
x2
YES YES and YES~! buy it from Lincoln Road, Massey/Henderson in Auckland. It's cheap as chips and wicked in the crock pot.

I simpley throw the pork in, chuck in a budget tim of apricots, pepper/salt and a good splash of soy sauce and cook on low for about 7 hours. It's melt in the mouth! and I serve it with either savoury rice or mash with steam veges or coleslaw.

It's the total bargain pork in my opinion and it feeds 7 out 9 of us (my littlies aren't keen on pork ... much to our gratitude! )

p_rock, Aug 2, 8:41am
Only way to cook pork is spit roast!

nahzee, Aug 2, 8:45am
i couldnt miss the thread title too... yumm

back to sports p. . lol

fisher, Aug 2, 9:23am
Its cheap because of all the fat... but that's not such a BAD thing. .
Cut away "most" of the fat and render it down for lard. . amazing to cook bacon sausages etc etc... My dogs enjoy the crispy bits that are left and I also indulge a little. . :} just use the rest of the meat as you normally would. . I have found the cuts to be rather thick and VERY suitable for the BBQ straight on top of some oil and sage leaves...

darlingmole, Aug 2, 9:26am
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Really? ! I'm neither FOB or Hori (sorry to taint your misconceptions - however comforting they were) ... and the meat is actually very nice, fat and all ~ the fat keeps the meat from drying out - you drain it off after cooking ;-)

darlingmole, Aug 2, 9:29am
hey fisher ~ yes there's fat on the meat but if you search the packets you can find some quite decent packs with not that much fat. At least they stock it at West Auckers - unlike the North Shore (my area) because it's a decent and cheap dinner for many

ava_kiana, Aug 6, 2:23am
thanks - will give it ago :-)

t.gypsy, Aug 6, 4:36am
x1
mmmm thanks i will get some and roast it up thats the one thing i love about pork is the fat :p

wetwillie1, Aug 6, 4:41am
darlingmole, where on Lincoln Road do you buy the Hangi pork from?

uli, Aug 6, 4:51am
Never mind how it was raised - eg sow crates - imported from Asia etc etc ...

darlingmole, Aug 6, 6:22am
uli I watched the programme with Mike King and it turned my stomach. But it also turns my stomach to see kids abused ... by humans. I can't be everywhere and I must feed my family (cheaply) ... if I had the money or the land? I'd buy organic or grow it organic. That's not my luxury though.

To answer you wetwillie ... Pak'n'Save on Lincoln Road (next to the mitre 10 mega store). I don't go there very often but it's right after the vegetable section and and before the seafood (in the cheap 'fridges with everything on special). Def worth a look :-)

tullyann, Aug 6, 9:30pm
The best thing for Pork is to stay away from Supermarkets go to a Butcher its NZ Meat an not from the outback of Aussie or Spain or Vietnam,
Tastes so much better , slow cook a on Barbeque on a spit is better.

brajama, Aug 6, 10:03pm
Awesome done in the pressure cooker... ... ... ... ...

wetwillie1, Aug 7, 9:14am
Thanks darlingmole I will check it out tommorrow

slaintewesties, Aug 14, 4:37am
Bought some today from Mad Butcher Porirua for $5. 99KG. Asked a butcher about it and was told it came from CHCH and it was the same pork as they sell in the shop. They just don't trim it down hence its cheaper.

rthomo1, Oct 6, 11:33pm
Wish we got hangi pork in nelson I've never seen it down here!

dezzie, Oct 6, 11:36pm
Me either!!!

goldgurl_design, Oct 6, 11:55pm
I think Nahzee was talking about himself...lol.

dezzie, Oct 6, 11:59pm
lol, fatty roasts on a rack and long slow cooking, yum yum yum!!!

guest, Feb 22, 11:43am
Found some today, been in ChCh for the past 10 years and have never seen it, seems very dark in comparison to others but found some which weren't fatty...even less so than usualork so have that to try tomorrow...btw darlingmole 'hori' and 'fob'...cut it out