How to cook cabbage?

steamylee, Aug 1, 7:08am
sorry this is probably a very stupid sounding question to most, i googled it and got so many answers i dont know where to start, just to plainly cook cabbage would i steam it or boil it or... ?
thanks

darlingmole, Aug 1, 7:12am
Put about 2 cm water into a large pot, then place finely sliced cabbage over the top, knob of butter, pepper and salt. Place lid on and boil for about 8-10 mins ~ check to see how it's looking. You do NOT want soggy cabbage! But a nice lime green and translucent colour is good. Drain and serve.

A variation is to add a minced clove or 2 of garlic at the beginning of cooking.

jallen2, Aug 1, 7:15am
I always put a little water in the bottom (like 1cm deep or less) and a small knob of butter on top and then put on a good fitting lid. Then just bung it on the element. As soon as the butter has melted the cabbage is cooked how we like it.
Hope that helps.
One of my friends likes to boil it for ages and another just steams it.
It really is to your taste. I like it slightly crunchy which is why I find the butter a good way to tell when its ready :-)

oopie, Aug 1, 7:16am
How I do it:

Melt one tablespoon butter in large heavy bottom pot.
Rinse finely shredded cabbage, drain and shake, retaining some water clinging to it.
Place cabbage in pot, lid on, and toss in butter, place back on med-low head and cook five mins, tossing occasionally. You shouldn't need to drain liquid. If there is liquid in bottom of pot, just leave lid off for a minute or two.
Yum.

datoofairy, Aug 1, 7:17am
I always cut our cabbage really thin. I put a knob of butter in the pot and a tiny bit of water (maybe 2-3 tsps) and chuck the cabbage on top. I often also throw in a some thinly slicedonion. I then put in some garlic salt (I use the grinder jars of garlic and salt) and put the lid on. I cook it on a medium heat for about 10 minutes, or as long as it takes til the cabbage is only just cooked, we dont like soggy, overcooked cabbage. I shake the pot a couple of time to mix the butter and seasoning around. I also leave the lid on tight so the cabbage steams rather than boils.

sherralynne, Aug 1, 7:19am
Our favourite way is to slice the cabbage, put into a microwave safe dish, squirt some mint sauce over and dot some butter on top, cover with either a glass lid or gladwrap and cook until your desired crispness. Really yummy way to do cabbage. As a variation, you can also add some grated carrot.

steamylee, Aug 1, 7:21am
awesome thanks guys :) i feel abit silly not knowing how to cook simple stuff like this so also thanks for not taking the p1ss out of me lol.

datoofairy, Aug 1, 7:22am
If you have them, pine nuts are a really nice with cabbage. I have also thrown in finely chopped bacon if I have it, for a nice change.

ferita, Aug 1, 7:46am
braised in vege stock and white wine , , yum as

harrislucinda, Aug 1, 9:00am
isliceminefineaddabitofwaterandbutterbringto boilthenturnheatoffandletsteamthensprinklecurrypowder

petal1955, Aug 1, 9:43am
Melt a knob of butter in a dish in the microwave... . . add the finely shredded cabbage and stir to coat with the butter... . . and a sprinkling of lemon pepper seasoning... . . place a paper towel over the dish and nuk for a minute then stir nuke a further 30 secs... . . and serve... Yummo ! ! ! ! !

socram, Aug 1, 9:51am
To the above basics (I'm a fan of bacon added too) add a generous dollop of sour cream.

Just for the hell of it and in a "left over" mode, (that seems to be my cooking style... ) in addition to the butter and sour cream and black pepper, also added diced avocado, and chopped gherkin.

To the original poster - the only dumb question is the one you don't ask...

lythande1, Aug 2, 2:43am
Yes, much nicer than boiling.

pericles, Aug 2, 2:45am
more or less the same as everyone else.
I also add the leaves of celery, not the stalk

dragonzflame, Aug 2, 2:49am
Pretty much what everyone else does. Slice the cabbage, give it a rinse and a bit of a shake, put it into a pot with a bit of butter and a little S&P, turn on the heat and toss it every now and then as it cooks. It doesn't need much, really just heating through and wilting a bit.

norton, Aug 2, 6:02am
I usually steam then put in a handful of chopped mint - or white pepper and a knob of butter stirred through before serving

joybells2, Aug 2, 6:28am
Dont boil in water, yucky, just saute for a couple of minutes in a little butter or marg, add bacon if required, salt and pepper. Cabbage is often overcooked, should be still a bit crunchy.

tut30, Aug 2, 9:29am
We love a few caraway seeds added to the very little water and knob of butter method.

alebix, Aug 2, 11:41am
Someone I knew fried her cabbage... does anyone know how to do this. . yes I know so obvious, but for cooking times and what to fry it in etc...

Steamylee. . its ok, I have no idea how to cook cabbage either except chopping it up for coleslaw.

ferita, Aug 2, 7:44pm
Get a good wok, heat some butter or oil in it and throw the cabbage in. Stir till cooked (you can cover it and let it steam in its natural moisture to speed it up)

joybells2, Aug 2, 7:55pm
alebix - frying is as I said, sauteing in a bit of butter or marg, can brown it a bit if you like, but dont overcook. Try it.

pyrenean, Aug 2, 10:45pm
Melt butter/oil in large pan, lightly fry onion and bacon bits then add chopped cabbage, salt and pepper. Lid on pot/pan . Depends on how you like your cabbage as to how long to let it cook in there. .

cary3339, Dec 23, 4:15pm
I was told by a Swiss boy that the way they do it in his countryis to lightly fry in butter and then grate cheese over the top Real yummy! ! !