Cheats 2 min Crockpot... Just wanted to Share...

toadfish, Aug 1, 2:51am
The other day I was rushed for work... Had skinless chicken thigh cutlets out of the freezer the night before. I had been for a walk... knew people needed feeding as soon as I got home. So... . .

It took me all of 2 mins... Place them in the crockpot... . poured over half a bottle of Watties bit on the side Java Satay Sauce. ($2. 50 this week at Foodtown so $1. 25 for half a bottle) Stirred it through... flicked the switch and hoped for the best... . .

Well it was delicious... very similiar to one I had made from scratch the other day.

toadfish, Aug 1, 2:52am
Was similiar to this one... . .

Chicken Peanut Curry
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs 1kg
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 cup chicken stock
fresh coriander or parsley chopped

Crockpot low for 5-6hrs, high for 3-3 1/2hrs
Slow cooker low for 4 1/2-5 1/2hrs, high for 2 1/2-3hrs
Turn the slow cooker to the setting you intend to cook on

Trim excess fat from chicken. Cut chicken thighs in half and toss with flour in a plastic bag. Shake off any excess

Combine peanut butter, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, curry powder, paprika, corainder and ginger in the slow cooker and stir to mix
As the slow cooker heats up, the peanut butter will soften and all the sauce ingredients can be mixed together smoothly
Add the chicken stock and stir well
Add the chicken and stir to combine
Cover with the lid and cook according to the times and settings specified above
Serve with rice or couscous, garnished with coriander or parlsey

As you can see there is not way this could be made in 2 mins...

elliehen, Aug 1, 3:07am
Thanks toadfish. Ideally, we'd all like to cook from scratch all the time - as previous generations of women did who didn't have any occupation outside of the house. However, most of us have to prioritise, and sometimes using a packet means that this convenience item helps us pay attention and give time to something else really important.

dinkypinky, Aug 1, 3:33am
how long did it cook for - low or high? cheers

toadfish, Aug 1, 3:45am
Popped it on low at 7. 45am stirred it at 5. 15pm and served it with rice & mixed veg at 5. 30pmand half the family was out the door again at 6pm. (I have the old sunbeam crockpot with a grey ceramic inner). You could cook it for a shorter time I am sure but all our crockpot meals cook for about 10 hours on low as I have to switch them on as i leave the house.

toadfish, Aug 1, 3:51am
x1
Yes Ellihen in the ideal world I would be making recipe number 2, and picking organic brocolli & Spinach from my garden...

But sometimes energy needs to be spent on things that matter... ie people. I wouldn't have been so rushed if i hadn't of walked for an hour with freinds (Between 6-7am) but its important that I do something for me as well. I could of told the girls to have a toasted sandwich and not cooked a "proper" meal. But I preferred to send them out with something "home cooked" and balanced.

I cook from scratch. . I cook from packets... and to be honest I don't care about other peoples opinions of the rightness or wrongness of it all.

I have been married over 22 years have 2 amazing daughters. . all of us in good health and very happy... Somethings working for me...

jallen2, Aug 1, 4:05am
Absolutely right Ellihen and toadfish. Lifes to short to worry about everything. And surely a quick meal with packet stuff is still better for us than take aways ! !
Another flavour I use with chicken in the slow cooker is watties hearty butter chicken soup. I just pour it over the chicken add veg if I have time and it is delish.
One thing I would suggest though if you have time is to dehydrate veg.
When you then go to use the slow cooker the veg is ready to just throw in. I dehydrate stuff that I wouldn't normally eat (ie pumpkin seeds, broccolli stems, even limp lettuce) and then once dry I powder it and I can add a tablespoon or so to all my slow cooked meals. I feel good sneaking in extra goodness. lol.

kirinesha, Aug 1, 4:10am
I often pop in a pile of chicken drums, spread over the base in 1-2 layers and simply mix up and pour over our usual BBQ marinade (soy, ginger, chilli, garlic etc) and leave to cook in the crockpot for the day. Brilliant for dinner or to give you chicken to take for lunches all week.

waswoods, Dec 15, 9:00pm
Toadfish - I agree with you. I have taken to buying the new Krispkut pre-prepared vegetables and herbs for the crockpot. I throw that in in the morning, with some meat and by the time we're ready to eat, it's a delicious meal with lots of veges. As I told my mother today - I don't care if it costs me $5 per pack - it saves me time and we're getting vegetables