piccalilli too salty

cottagerose, Feb 20, 2:36am
Last night I made this and as per instructions rinsed veges (I though well) from the premix from the night before.
But on tasting today find it is edible but quite salty. Any ideas on fixing? Other than the obvious of recooking with more veges

luckyduck, Feb 20, 4:18am
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. It was a lovely batch of piccalilli but was inedible due to saltiness. I kept it for a while hoping that time would make a difference but it didn't so I ended up tossing it into the compost bin. What a waste. I followed the directions as you did but man was it salty.

korbo, Feb 20, 4:33am
gee, i made some last week, it tasted ok when putting in the jars, but havent tried it since.
my recipe didnt acutually say to rinse the vegs after leaving all night in the salty water, but i did.
how much salt did you use in the brine, and then didyou add more salt in the pot.
if it is not a problem, can u put the recipe on here. that would be good, so others may have more idea, why it is saltyy

cgvl, Feb 20, 7:34am
if it is salty, tip it back into the pot and add 1-2 grated uncooked potatoes. reheat the mix and cook for a few minutes to cook the potato. This wont change the piccalli but will take up the salt.

cgvl, Feb 20, 7:37am
A hint if using the brine is to tip off the brine, then fill sink with water and swish the vegies in it. do this several times then finally rinse in running water.

cottagerose, Feb 20, 7:40am
1and a half kg veges(cucumber, onion, corguette-
, cucumber beans)
1 cup salt
1. 2 litres vinegar
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp mustard
3 bsp ground ginger
1 tbsp ginger
85 gms sugar

The day before sprinkle salt over veges (24 hrs)

Drain off liquid and rinse twice
Mix 1 cup vinegar with flour and spices and put aside

Put rest of vinegar, sugar and veges in pot and boil for 15 minutes.
Add rest of ingredients you put aside and boil another 5 minutes

cottagerose, Feb 20, 7:45am
I normally make cucumber and pineapple pickle but felt like a change so maybe Ill tip out of the jars and reboil with a Tin of pineapple in it

snapit, Feb 20, 10:18am
I taste my vegetables after rinsing to check they are not over salty. They need a little saltyness or they can be very bland have had that happen but noticed it before the cooking was finished.

korbo, Feb 21, 12:33am
yes, i think 1 cup of salt is a lot. my recipe was for 4kg of vegs, and 1/4 cup salt, which would be approx 2tblspns. i would make it again, but certainly cut back on the salt.
there are a lot of spices too, perhaps cut the spices back by half as well. when thickening, i use about 2=3 tblsp vinegar.
dont give up try again... . . good luck... .

cottagerose, Feb 21, 4:21am
Thanks korbo. The combination of veges I used are nice but I think Ill chuck the recipe out and reboil with a bit of sugar and pineapple as its not disgusting (Ive been having it on toast) but just not quite right and I think half the problem is as you said, a little too much spices

korbo, Feb 21, 7:23pm
cool, keep on experimenting too.

cottagerose, Feb 21, 7:46pm
x1
well this morning Ive reboiled my piccililli with a tin of crushed pineapple and 3/4 c sugar so will see how it tastes when cold

korbo, Feb 23, 7:28am
how did it taste. i think it would be nice.

cottagerose, Feb 23, 8:21am
x1
Yes its nice thanks and Ive thrown my recipe out and next year will use a new recipe

doree36, Feb 24, 12:16am
Too much Mustard in my Pickle. I used "Pams" dry mustard that after i put it in remembered it was very hot ( too late to take out) what can i do to rectify this.

cottagerose, Sep 4, 6:10pm
You could try putting a tin of crushed pineapple in