Homemade spaghetti

toeblister, Feb 20, 2:07am
Would anyone have a recipe to make homemade spaghetti sauce. One that I could freeze please. A sauce that upon thawing I could add meat to, vegies to, or just have as a side with bacon and eggs. May thanks :)

karenz, Feb 20, 2:38am
Buy the acid free tomatoes, like the ones that come in a tin, pour boiling water over them and the skin will come off easily. Cook onion and garlic in olive oil, you can also add finely chopped carrots to this, also celery, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, if you have these handy and like them, add the tomatoes and herbs, I use fresh basil and oregano but you can use dried or even different herbs altogether, some people like to add a pinch of nutmeg instead of the herbs, reduce this down a little and season. You can also use tinned tomatoes, but even if they are budget brand try and get the ones that come from Italy not Asia, or a bottle of passata, but put in a pinch of sugar to counter the acidity that tinned tomatoes seem to have if you use them.

toeblister, Feb 20, 2:47am
Hi Karenz thank you so much for your recipe. Would your recipe still work given the tomatoes I have are out of (Very proud husband's) garden. We have no idea of the variety as he was given the plants. Certainly not beef steak . :)

karenz, Feb 20, 2:51am
Yes any tomatoes would be fine and home grown are so much fresher and tastier.

toeblister, Feb 20, 3:30am
Thanks heaps karenz :)

amazing_grace, Aug 23, 1:01pm
I do this... take your homegrown tomatoes (dont worry about skinning them), chop roughly in quarters and throw into a baking dish, add 2 coarsley chopped onions, 4 cloves garlic (or more), stir in 1 tin of tomato paste, add 1/2c olive oil, 2T brown sugar, 1t salt and some pepper. At this stage take anything from your garden that you wish to add (courgettes, basil, carrots etc). Bake on 150C in the oven for at least 2hours till there is a tiny bit of charring on everything. Stir up, or whizz with the whizz stick. Either freeze or pack into steralised jars.