Honeymoon cake

samsara11, Jul 29, 3:42am
I am trying to find a recipe for this cake but no luck on google. Does anyone have this recipe? It contains apples and lemon rind. tks

cookessentials, Jul 29, 3:58am
x1
Only part of this recipe exists! it is from the treasures site, but the author says continued and there is nothing more! But i guess this is a start. I shall see if I can find the rest of it somewhere LOL

HONEYMOON CAKE
100 g butter
1 lemon
3 medium-sized Granny Smith apples
4 eggs
130 g caster sugar
150 g plain flour
pinch of salt
1 level tsp baking powder
Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a 23cm cake tin with baking paper. Melt butter, then set aside to cool. Grate zest from lemon and set aside. Peel and core apples and slice thinly. Put apples in a large bowl and toss lemon juice through apple slices. Break eggs into a bowl and beat with the an electric whisk until liquefied, then pour in sugar slowly. Beat until mixture until it forms a thick trail when dribbled off the upheld beaters. Sprinkle over lemon zest. Sift flour, salt and baking powder together onto a piece of paper, then sift 1/2 of it over egg mousse. Fold in lightly. Pour cooled, melted butter around sides of bowl, then fold in until only just amalgamated. Sieve over rest of dry ingredients and fold in.

cont...

samsara11, Jul 29, 4:00am
that is the cake! !

cookessentials, Jul 29, 4:06am
Cool, I hope you can figure out what to do after you sift the rest of the dry ingredients and fold in... . sadly, that was all there was!

samsara11, Jul 29, 4:08am
Probably how long it would take to cook. What would you suggest the time is.

whitehead., Jul 29, 4:14am
put into a cake tin lined with cooking paper and cook at about 180 untill it is cooked ie after 20 minutes tap the top with your finger and if the dent comes out its cooked you can also poke it with a knife and see if it comes out clean . if it looks like its cooking too fast turn the oven down a bit . you learn by doing it and making mistakes you can eat your mistakes they should not kill you

levintofu, Jul 29, 4:27am
i love this quote

samsara11, Jul 29, 8:51pm
anyone else have a recipe please?

indy95, Jul 30, 12:06am
Well, I have one recipe for a Honeymoon Cake, samsara11, but it is just a spongey mixture with the addition of white chocolate and quite a lot of passionfruit... . . which is appropriate if you stop to think about it !

murfee, Jul 30, 9:37am
did I miss when the apples are added?

cookessentials, Jul 30, 9:39am
yes, because it is only part of the recipe as in post#2

obviousas, Jul 30, 9:42am
Here's a lemon cake recipe. If you add apples to it, you probably get what u want.

Lemon Sour Cake

Cream 250g butter and 2 cups sugar well, add 6 eggs, 2 tsp lemon rind and 250g lite sour cream.
Blend well, gently fold in 2 cups flour and 2 tsp baking powder.
Place in a 25 cm cake tin.
Bake 180degC for 60-70 mins. Test to ensure the skewer comes out cleanly - this cake does take longer to cook than you would expect.

Do not use fan bake, just regular bake.
When the cake comes out of the oven, pour juice of 1 lemon combined with 3 tsp sugar onto the hot cake.
Cover with a few clean tea towels and leave to cool.

samsara11, Jul 30, 10:47am
cookessentials is the one I am after. I have the recipe somewhere and I have looked through my books (heaps of them) and cannot find it. From memory, you put half the batter in the tin - add the apples and then the other half of the batter. If I find the recipe, I will post it as it is a lovely cake

samsara11, Jul 31, 6:37am
Well the first attempt is in the oven and looks good so far. I will let you know how I go. Batter tasted lovely so that is something. ps. I have never grown out of cleaning the beater... ...

griffo4, Jul 31, 6:42am
Samsara l am waiting for your verdict as l have some apples that need cooking up
Can you also let us know how you finished off the mixture when do you add the apples etc and what temp and time you cooked it please

samsara11, Jul 31, 6:48am
Will do. I just folded the apples into the mixture at the end (keeping a little batter back) and then topped with the remaining mixture. My current oven is dreadful at cooking cakes as it seems to burn them easily but I cooked it at 160 deg for 45 minutes. Interestingly at my old house I had the same oven and it was a dream to cook cakes.

samsara11, Jul 31, 7:20am
Just tasted and it is beautiful! ! !

griffo4, Jul 31, 7:41am
samsara thanks l will copy and paste it and make it next week thanks

samsara11, Jul 31, 8:12am
but needs keeping for a day

samsara11, Aug 1, 4:21am
I FOUND IT! ! Yes it is the same recipe as in #2. It is called Luna di Mele (honeymoon cake). The bit missed off (which is quite important is the preparation of the tin). 23cm dia tin. Cut disc of baking paper and strip for the sides. Brush paper with melted butter, on one side only, then sprinkle generously with castor sugar. Tap off the excess. Dust with flour then tap off the excess and fit to tin.
++ Balance of recipe is :-
Drain off any jice from the sieved apples then fold into the sponge mixture very carefully. Transfer mixture to the prepared tin. Smooth the surface lightly with a knife then cook for approx 40 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes. Invert on to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely. Sift over icing sugar before slicing into wedges.

The tin preparation would be the difference between the cake I remember and the one I made last night. #2 recipe said granny smiths - my recipe says apples. Personally, I would not use granny smiths again as they were still quite firm and very tart.

mdgw, Aug 1, 7:39am
"Luna di mele" means "apple moon" or "moon of apples". If it is "luna di miele" then it is honeymoon...

griffo4, Dec 16, 5:59pm
l made it and it is very nice and the granny smiths l had were really ripe so no problems with tartness but l will try that new part of the recipe