Beef coating/rub

cottagerose, Jan 25, 9:01am
I used a gourmet BBQ rub to coat steak last night and it was so popular with everyone but expensive to buy as you can only buy it in 75 gms,
Does anyone have a recipe for anything similar.

245sam, Jan 25, 9:08am
cottagerose, I've seen, both in books and on the Internet, recipes for rubs for all types of meats, etc. so there are definitely recipes available and we've no doubt got some in our Barbecue Books. The rubs can be made with all sorts of flavours but to get one like you enjoyed I'm wondering, do you have a list of the ingredients for the gourmet BBQ rub that you're wanting to replicate? :-))

cottagerose, Jan 25, 9:16am
On the packaging it says nuts, brown sugar, onion, salt garlic, paprika but I wouldnt have a clue about amounts or what type of nuts.
It was a charles Major product from Hawera and sold at pantry shop but at a cost of $7 for 75gms and it only covered one large pice of steak.

245sam, Jan 25, 10:04am
cottagerose, I've had a look on the Internet for a rub with the same or similar ingredients to those you listed - with no luck and I've remembered that our most likely Barbecue books are unfortunately still in Wellington with our daughter and SIL so I'm sorry but right now I don't think I can help you any further, however I'll keep an eye out and post it if I do happen to find any info' or a recipe. :-))

noelinevc, Jan 25, 11:48am
I use this
2 Tablespoons Paprika
2 Tablespoons Salt
3 Tablespoons White Sugar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon Celery Salt
1 Teaspoon Oregano-crushed
1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (opptional)

If I wanted nuts I would add about 5 Tablespoons of chopped pistachios

cottagerose, Jul 16, 5:49pm
Thankyou 245sam. That would be great and I will try your recipe noelinevc. It sounds really good.
Thankyou. My 11 year old niece wanted to eat all the steak as she liked it so much and doesnt usually eat steak. I used rump