Gluten free 'pastry' recipe wanted

Page 1 / 2
pinto11, Jul 26, 9:54am
Does anyone out there have a good recipe for a general pastry that I can use for pies, quiches or pizza? It would be much appreciated.

cookessentials, Jul 26, 9:58am
Not sure how good this is, but here it is anyway

http://www.hub-uk.com/family21/family1033.htm

pinto11, Jul 26, 10:04am
Appreciate the link cookessentials but I kind of want a recipe that someone out there uses and KNOWS works, tastes good and is versatile. I'm tired of yuk tasting GF recipes that I pour good money into... . know what I mean? Gets expensive really fast!

cookessentials, Jul 26, 10:17am
I would suggest asking for herika, she has a number of recipes for gluten free, or you could use the search function at the left as there have been a number of gluten free threads lately and there may be something there for you.

uli, Jul 26, 9:20pm
You could try one of the low carb pie crusts:

1 cup ground nuts (this can be almonds or hazelnuts or a mix)
1/2 cup of melted butter

mix this together and pat into a small pie dish.

If you want a sweet base add some sugar or other sweetener.

This is an adaption from the old biscuit crumb and butter mix that a lot of NZlanders use as a base for their cheese cakes.

uli, Jul 26, 9:22pm
Or for a baked savoury pie crust try this one from the low carb recipe thread:

Almond-Parmesan Crust

1&1/3 cups almonds (grind until texture of cornmeal)
½ cup grated parmesan
6 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp water

Method:
Pulse the almonds and cheese in food processor until combined, add water and butter and run until dough is formed. You may need to scrape away from sides or base halfway through.

Line buttered or sprayed nonstick baking dish and bake at 180 for 10-12 mins. Cool before filling.

Note: Use for quiche or similar. Makes one crust in a 25cm round dish.

angie461, Jul 26, 9:39pm
I have a great one I will post tonight it is delicious, versatile. Im running a bit late for work now but will post after work for you, I finish at eight.

uli, Jul 26, 9:48pm
There are other pie crusts which are made with coconut. I have not tried those out, but they are posted regularly so I am sure others have tried them and they worked. I will post those two below.

uli, Jul 26, 9:49pm
Coconut Pie Crust

* 1/2 cup coconut milk
* 2 rounded tablespoons flaxmeal
* 1/2 cup coconut flour
* 1/2 cup almond flour (or meal)
* 3 T coconut oil or shortening
* 1 T maple syrup
* 1/2 tsp salt

Mix first two ingredients and set aside.
Combine flours and cut in oil, salt and maple syrup until a crumbly mixture forms.
Knead in milk mixture and turn out onto lightly floured board.
Roll out to desired size and carefully move into pie plate.

This crust does break easily, but also fixes easily and will not break during the baking process.

Fill pie and bake according to pie recipe instructions.

Double to make a top crust or make half again as much to have enough dough for a lattice top.

Watch carefully during baking as coconut can burn quite fast!

uli, Jul 26, 9:51pm
For a single Coconut pie crust:

1/2 C sifted coconut flour (if not available use very finely flaked coconut and whizz in food processor until very fine)
1/2 C finely flaked coconut
2 eggs
1/2 T honey (optional)
1/4 C butter, melted
1/4 t salt

It needs to be handled carefully as it breaks easily.

angie461, Jul 27, 8:59am
1 c gf flour mix
1/2 tsp b powder
1/2 tsp salt
60g butter cold cut into cubes
1 c tasty grated cheese
1 c cold mashed potato
1 egg white
Place flour, baking powder and salt in a food processor, pulse to combine. Add butter and cheese and process until breadcrumb stage. Add the potato and the egg white and pulse until the dough starts to come together. Remove from the processor and mould into a ball. Roll out on silicone mat or baking paper. Cut to required size and bake. Sometimes I put into fridge first then just press into tin and up sides. This also make nice cracker biscuits.

uli, Jul 27, 9:31am
What is "gf flour mix" exactly angie461?
I always thought there are hundreds of different mixes and each would be different wouldn't it?

pickles7, Jul 27, 9:02pm
could "gf"mean, "gluten free"... . uli... . ?

angie461, Jul 27, 9:29pm
I make up my own but I have used the bakels one. It is just a mix of flours rice flour tapioca flour etc. I go by the texture of the mix until it looks right.

pinto11, Jul 27, 11:52pm
I'm gonna try that one of yours angie... . I want something to put in the pie maker so that the gf ones in the house can have a pie too.

uli, Jul 28, 2:11am
Yes sure - I knew that much LOL

But what flours and what % of each would be the interesting thing.

Surely a pastry made from 100% cornflour would come out different than one on 50% cornflour and 50% rice flour - wouldn't it?

And then there is so much more like quinoa or pea flour or whatever else ...

How can anyone bake a recipe if it just says "gf flour mix"? Not even stating which company's flor mix nor what it includes. It could be anything couldn't it? Or do you think that is not important to know?

uli, Jul 28, 2:13am
So do you know what mix of what flours there is?
Or do you just guess and hope - then worry if it doesn't work out - again?

angie461, Jul 28, 10:19am
fo uli

kirinesha, Jul 28, 10:10pm
Why on earth would you speak so rudely to someone who has been nothing but helpful and is showing an interest in a topic?

bedazzledjewels, Jul 28, 11:42pm
Voted. That language is crossing the line.

Great recipes up there Uli.

angie461, Jul 29, 5:52am
Im sorry but I findSome peoplecondecending and alway have an attitude in their message, I had had a couple of wines and got frustrated

didorothy, Jul 29, 7:09am
Has anyone got a recipe for potato pastry. Some years ago there were pies that had the healthy heart tick being distributed here called "Poppas Pies". Would like to have that recipe, low fat healthy pastry.

kirinesha, Jul 29, 8:12am
You may have more luck if you start a new thread didorothy. You may only find those interested in a GF option will venture into this one.

didorothy, Jul 29, 11:20am
Thanks Kirinesha will do

uli, Dec 13, 6:47am
Did you try any of the recipes yet pinto11?
And how did they work out?