Fried rice

nannahall1, Jul 26, 12:40am
whats the secret to fried rice how do you get it to taste like the rice you buy at the chinese takeaway shop

petal1955, Jul 26, 1:03am
Cook your rice first then spread out on a large dish and leave in the fridge overnight , dont cover , this dries it out so when you fry it it seperates and doesnt clump up

fisher, Jul 26, 1:17am
Yummy Fried Rice
Serve as an accompaniment to chinese-style meal or as meal on its own(substitute diced ham or bacon for the char siu )
50 ml peanut oil. . 3 eggs. . 2-3 cups, cold boiled rice. . 1/2 cup small prawns, shelled and deveined. . 1/4 cup peas. .
1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped. . pinch sugar. . pinch white pepper. . pinch salt. . 200g char siu (Chinese BBQ pork), diced. .

Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Add oil to a hot wok. Pour the eggs into the wok and allow to set. . Add the cold rice, breaking it up and tossing... (Petal1955 method dries it out nicely to make it more manageable but it MUST be COLD cooked rice )
Evenly distribute the egg and rice... Add the salt, white pepper and sugar. Add the pork, prawns, shallots and peas. Toss and mix well.
Cook for a further few minutes on high heat, tossing the entire time.

lavender32, Jul 26, 1:22am
My secret is the Oriental flavouring that comes with oriental noodles. I sprinkle it over fried rice as its cooking & add a splash of soya sauce.

bisloy, Jul 26, 1:33am
If you don't have time to dry it out in the fridge, mix through a little oil to separate the grains, but, as fisher has said, the rice needs to be cold.

nannahall1, Jul 26, 2:09am
thank you all willtry and let you know the results

ashbeau, Jul 26, 2:58am
Yum thanks

ferita, Jul 26, 3:23am
MSG

fisher, Jul 26, 6:17am
so true ferita... they use a lot of it... or maybe vegeta...

milig, Aug 8, 2:08pm
i think they also add chicken stock powder! ! And MSG does add that extra zing. I somehow can't understand what they do to the chicken to make it so tender n yummy.

ferita, Aug 8, 6:42pm
They use light soya sauce, a mixture of salt and MSG and they normally fry the rice in oil from deep fryer or similar.

Light soya sauce is light in colour not in salt etc.

goldgurl_design, Jan 7, 11:03am
My secret is a dash of sesame seed oil... little goes a L O N G way... amazing flavour it adds to a lot of different foods. I use light soy LOTS too in different foods