How to make plain flour into self-raising

babyluthi, Feb 7, 8:28pm
I have a recipe that calls for self raising flour, however I only have plain flour. What do I need to add to it to make it self raising? TIA:)

245sam, Feb 7, 8:32pm
baking powder, babyluthi - opinions vary as to how much with some saying 1 tsp baking powder to 1 cup flour, while others say 1½ tsp baking powder and others 2 tsp baking powder. It's your choice as to how much you use but if you're making scones then definitely use the 2 tsp baking powder to 1 cup flour. :-))

jellabie, Feb 7, 8:58pm
3 TB of baking powder and 1 TB saltto 6 cups flour

jellabie, Feb 7, 9:00pm
or 1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt to one cup of flour

I googled this so I have not tried it. . being a lousy baker and all :o)

jellabie, Feb 7, 9:01pm
oh. . just discovered that if you dont have baking powder you can use cream of tartar and baking soda. . two parts tartar to one part soda!

babyluthi, Feb 7, 9:15pm
Thanx for your replies:)I am trying to make a banana loaf:)

unknowndisorder, Feb 19, 6:43am
I've got a question about this.
I want to make a chocolate crunch slice (page 12 of the biscuits & slices thread) and as I don't have SR flour in the house, want to adjust. As the recipe specifies 1t bp already, does that mean I want to add a pinch of salt & an extra 1. 5t bp?
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for all the recipes, husband will soon be sick of my new (old) hobby ;) (he should be grateful that at least I'm not out buying yet more cookbooks)
Cheers, Michelle

harrislucinda, Aug 21, 10:59am
ifrecipecallsforselfraisingplus1tspbpyoudonthaveto addextrasaltisthatwhatyoumean