Cook Island Chow Mein

tullyann, Jul 21, 8:49am
Kia Orana Can any one help me with this wonderful Recipe My Aunty used to make it an nowits my turnThanks ,

alebix, Jul 21, 9:44am
chow mein or chop suey?

goldgurl_design, Jul 21, 11:24am
neither have I... potato salad yes - chow mein no :(What am I missing out on? ? lol

nahzee, Jul 21, 11:38am
Recipe for Cook Island Chow Mein

1 bucket of homebrew-does not have to be set. . 1 -3 days ok
1 or 2 Ukeleles or guitar if you can pinch it from your neighbours whilst they snoaring with a hangover
1 plastic washing bucket and 1 big solid wooden spoon, preferbly the one you use to get a hiding with from your mums as a kid
lastly a couple of sets of tablespoons for measuring your fingers

mix all above contents and trink homebrew on medium for a couple of hours. .

once cooked, get up and celebrate dancing and singing loudly with your eyes half shut. . Enjoy! !

nahzee, Jul 21, 11:45am
forgot to add 1 sausage pricker

goldgurl_design, Jul 21, 11:46am
LMAO! ! ! ufa... I was just gonna say, you missed the sausage pricker

fisher, Jul 22, 1:51am
Kia Orana...
Chop Suey
Cooking time 30 minutes (not including preparation)
Serves four to six people. . Serve with rice
Ingredients:
500g Blade Steak thinly sliced into 2 to 3cm strips. . 1 large Onion coarsely diced. . 8 Cloves Garlic finely diced. . 50g Ginger finely diced. . 100g Bean Vermicelli . . 750mls to 1lt Water. . 100mls Dark Soy Sauce. . 100mls Peanut Oil. . Salt and Pepper to taste...
Optional Ingredients:. .
Add all or any
2 Cups Mix Vegetables
100g Smoked Bacon
50mls Oyster Sauce
100g cooked shelled shrimps
Method:
Put water in bowl and soak vermicelli for 1/2 an hour... Then cut with scissors when vermicelli is soft along the middle and corners. .
Heat oil on high, when sizzling add garlic and ginger and fry till about to turn brown then add onion and cook till clear...
Add all meat and fry till cooked... Add half of soy sauce and cook for about two minutes then add vermicelli and mix vegetables. . Stir well. .
Simmer for 5 minutes or until vermicelli is clear (on low heat). .
Then add Oyster Sauce. . Add more Soy Sauce if needed to bring colour to brown...
Meat best prepared the day before. . Marinate with half measures of soy sauce, garlic and ginger and refrigerate...
Kia manuia.

tullyann, Jul 22, 5:49am
Thank you all for info My bad , Chop Suey will try Fisher one ,
an will let the home brew one goover our head.
Thanks all Kia Manuia

motorbo, Jul 22, 6:04am
x1
is that a traditonal recipe? sorry i wouldnt have a clue not meaning to be rude

buzzy110, Jul 22, 9:33am
x2
Here is a much more traditional one posted by fireman's girl. she was taught this recipe by a Samoan relative. I, myself have seen this exact same recipe created by another Samoan woman who made it for her children where we go camping every year.

Vermicelli
250gm packet is heaps. Soak it in boiling water then drain.
Dark Soya Sauce
Finely dice:1kg steak, (you can use topside but I prefer rump)
Chop:3 onions and cloves of garlic, as many as you like depending on taste. Grate:Fresh Ginger
Put a tblspn or two of oil on a large pot and heat until really hot
Fry off the Onion, Garlic & Ginger
Add the Rump.
Add Soy Sauce maybe a 1/4 cup to start
Add water enough to cover meat and simmer for maybe 30 minutes or longer if you use topside
Taste. If you want more Garlic or Ginger, add it now. Add more soy if required. DON'T SALT. There is enough in the soy.
Add the vermicelli, mix through so that the soy colours the vermicelli totally. Alternatively let the meat cool overnight, reheat the next day and then add vermicelli. Eat! ! !
firemansgirl

willow123, Jul 22, 9:57am
Oh I've always wanted to know how to make this - thanks so much for posting the recipe

willow123, Jul 22, 10:01am
YOU'RE A DICK! ! ! ! !

buzzy110, Jul 22, 10:24am
Yeah, but a funny one though.

tullyann, Jul 22, 7:22pm
Thanks so much alli will try them all ! ! ! ! God Bless

motorbo, Jul 22, 11:22pm
i dont know why but i always imagined it had alot of vege in it!

shaza, Aug 27, 8:17am
so great to be able to make now myself. Cheers for the info.
Xmas will have a special plate this year.Always loved it when my aunts made it. yummy