STEM GINGER COOKS EXTRAORDINARS

svx1, Jul 19, 5:50am
Hi has anyone made these I am going to make these and thought I would ask the cooks extraordinars if they have any tips on making these beautiful delicious morsels?

beaumonde, Jul 19, 10:32am
did you mean using stem ginger?
I have a nice ginger chessecake recipe using stem ginger

buzzy110, Jul 19, 10:34am
Or do you mean making crystallised stem ginger?

svx1, Jul 19, 10:49am
Hi I mean actually preserving the ginger in syrup the same as stem ginger in the bottles.

lulu239, Jul 19, 6:39pm
PRESERVED GINGER

1 KG YOUNG GINGER4 CUPS SUGAR
1 CUP WATER.

With a small knife scrape the ginger to remove the thin layer of skin. Cut ginger into 1cm pieces, cover with cold water and stand 2 hours, drain. Place ginger into the saucepan add enough water to cover completely. Bring to the boil , boil rapidly uncovered for 5 min, drain. . Return to saucepan and repeat process. Bring to boil and simmer, covered for 45 min or until just tender. Drain.
Place 2 cups of the sugar and the water into saucepan, stir over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved, simmer uncovered for 5 min. Add the drained ginger, bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer covered for 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture with syrup into a heatproof glass or earthenware container, cover, and stand24 hours. Strain the syrup into a small saucepan, add another cup of the sugar, stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Simmer uncovered for 5 min. Pour syrup over ginger and stand for another 24 hours. Repeat with the last cup of sugar. Bottle. Makes about 1 litre

svx1, Jul 19, 10:47pm
hi lulu thanks for the recipe have you made this yourself and how long does it keep do you have to keep in the fridge once opened etc? cheers

lulu239, Jul 20, 12:32am
Hi svx1. Yes, I have made this a few times. I made it for gifts last Christmas. I have kept mine in the frig only because of ants. If it is not totally covered in syrup it will crystalise ( some of mine has) which doesn't bother me as I will use it instead of buying some! Get it from a place that knows ginger and can get you young ginger otherwise it may be too woody. Try to get bits that are not too knobbly as it is easier to peel. Good luck with it. Mine is still perfect, that is the pieces that are in the syrup.

svx1, Nov 13, 5:09pm
Hi lulu thankyou so much for the tips on making the stem ginger I noticed in the jars they are all rounded I will have to see if i can do the same. cheers