Decorating cake - HELP please

gildon, Jul 18, 6:52am
At short notice I have somehow got the job of making and decorating birthday cake for beloved DIL. I have made the cake (no problem) but getting it iced and decorated is another question. If all else fails I will have a go myself but my talents do not lie in that direction! ! ! Does anyone know of anyone in Waitakere city who does this type of thing. Or, can some of you lovely people give me some tips about how to go about it. Have done a little of this sort of thing when my kids were small but feel this deserves something a little more professional looking than my amateurish attempts at children's birthday cakes.

prickle99, Jul 18, 7:01am
make a butter icing nice and thick plaster it all over and then load with fresh flowers it will look great

gildon, Jul 18, 7:40am
The cake is a really rich fruit cake and I feel would suit an almond base and fondant type icing - just not too sure the best way to go about it. Would welcome tips etc.

levite, Jul 18, 7:56am
Both almond icing and white covering icing can be bought from supermarket now. 'Bakels' is an easy one to use and easy enough to apply.
Cover fruit cake in apricot jam (can make a little thinner with boiling water) Using a pastry brush. Knead the almond paste until nice and pliable, using a little cornflour, on bench, to keep paste from sticking. Roll to disired shape. taking in mind side widths and top measurements. I use a piece of string right up side, across top and down opposite side to get measurements right. Roll paste out a little more than needed. Now gently lift paste by rolling onto the rolling pin then quickly roll onto cake starting at an edge, over top then over opposite edge. Using fingers and hands gently smooth paste onto cake across top of cake and then at corners. easing in to cake and pushing gently into paste. Then smooth down sides. Let dry. Now cover this with beaten egg white or sugar liquid paste. and repeat above process with white covering icing.

levite, Jul 18, 8:02am
Wish i lived near by. I love doing cakes and would gladly do it for you.

Different sized flowers can be cut out of the covering icing(rolled thinly) also and tinted different colours, left to dry a little and slightly curved in the palm of your hand, for a funky young look. I call them chunky flowers. Similar in shape to the 'daisy'
These placed in groups anywhere look great.

gildon, Jul 18, 8:58am
Thank you levite, those instructions re laying the fondant and almond icing sound very helpful. I think I am going to give it a try. I don't know about making the flowers though. I may seek out a shop that sells good cake decorations and see what I can find.

cap, Jul 18, 9:25am
You could try looking it up on Youtube - people video instructions for all sorts of things on there and it can be very helpful actually seeing what to do.

2halls, Jul 18, 8:14pm
I agree with the second poster ... take the route of least resistance. A thick almond flavoured butter icing all over the cake. Then pop to your local florist, buy a bunch of cream coloured roses (miniatures if they have them) and pop the rosebuds all over the cake. Would look fantastic and not too tricky to do. :-)

gildon, Jul 20, 11:38pm
Am about to launch forth and ice the cake for almond and fondant icing. Just one question - do I need to put anything on top of the almond icing to make sure the white fondant icing adheres to it, or do the two icing just meld together OK.

gilligee, Nov 15, 11:11pm
Levite says beaten egg white or sugar syrup.