Chicken pie

nomidoo, Feb 18, 9:40pm
x1
Hello - I've got a leftover piece of pastry and a chicken breast. What do I need to do to the chicken to make a little pie? Dice it, then fry and put with... ? or is it best to throw a few ingredients in with the diced raw chicken in the pastry in the oven? Thanks in advance

dezzie, Feb 18, 9:47pm
hmm, I'd dice it, and cook it withdiced bacon and mushrooms, add a wee bit of flour to make a gravy, then put it in the pastry and bake.

nomidoo, Feb 18, 9:52pm
Thanks Dezzie - I've got bacon and mushrooms in the fridge, so that's what I'll try. It says on pastry that you get the best results if you put the mixture in cold, so I might cool down the chicken mixture in between

winnie231, Feb 18, 9:53pm
This recipe from destitute gourmet is very good!

Magic Chicken Pies

These pies are “magic” because they make a little bit of chicken go such a long way.

1 single chicken breast cooked or equivalent quantity of left over’s shredded
25 g butter
1 leek sliced
A handful of mushrooms (about 5) sliced
2 tbsp Pl flour
250 ml milk
300 g cooked potato cut into small cubes
1 tsp Thyme
Around 400g pastry can be homemade or frozen, puff, flaky or short crust
Salt and Pepper
1 beaten egg

Preheat oven to 200°

Sauté the leeks and mushrooms in the butter till soft, stir in the flour and gradually add the milk until a thick sauce is formed.
Add the looked potato thyme and the shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cool.
Grease a regular 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Line muffin pans with pastry- see cooks tip.
Press the pastry in gently- re rolling the pastry until all the pans are lined, save trimmings.
Spoon in the chicken filling. Using the pastry trimmings cut strips of pastry-4 for each pie and lattice the pastry strips on the top of each pie. You will need to dab a little cold water onto the ends of the pastry strips and press them down firmly so they don't pop up as the pastry cooks.
Brush lightly with beaten egg and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.

Cooks tip: An empty 800 g tomato can or 400 g tuna can cuts just the right size circles to line muffin pans.

You could adapt this recipe to make one large pie.

nomidoo, Feb 18, 9:57pm
That's awesome too - thanks Winnie. Am popping out now but will play around with those ideas this avo. Ta heaps

ruby19, Aug 19, 6:43pm
This might be helpful? Just use a chicken stock you have.
Last night I made a chicken fricasse, which the night before I boiled the roast chicken carcass, with a couple of carrots and onions, drained and retained the stock, kept the veggies, so the next night you make a sauce out of the chicken stock using 50g butter & flour and approx 2-3 cups stock(I skimmed the fat off) We had half the chicken meat left so that was cubed up and added to the sauce with the retained veg, then I added peas & corn from the freezer, warm this through then add 1 egg yolk, and 3 tbps cream mix well and heat through gently again & season. (I thickened this a little with a little cornflour mixed into cold milk, add herbs of choice. ) I popped this into pies.