Orange Sour Cream Cake recipe error

samsara11, Jul 17, 8:05am
I would appreciate your comments. The recipe states 1/4 self raising flour, 2 cups ordinary flour and no other raising agent. Would you add soda or baking powder? I think it must be an error but interested in what you think

najopito, Jul 17, 8:08am
I just googled 1 cup self-raising flour substitute 1 cup flour plus 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp baking soda.

Not a fan of self raising

samsara11, Jul 17, 8:22am
Thanks those are my thoughts. I cannot see the logic of having such a small amount of sr flour myself. I too am not a fan of sr flour but have not done baking for a few years as I dont have a sweet tooth! The recipe was in the AWW 10 best recipe insert and interestingly there are other recipes with a similar ratio and no other raising agent. I thought at first that it was an error but in more than one recipe has me wondering

winnie231, Jul 17, 8:28am
It may not be a mistake - it does have 6 eggs in it.
This type of cake is often quite dense in texture. I would make it according to the recipe.

uli, Jul 17, 8:29am
Where did the recipe come from?

samsara11, Jul 17, 8:34am
The recipe was in the AWW 10 best recipe

winnie231, Jul 17, 8:35am
It's in the July Australian Women's Weekly ... as Lemon Sour Cream Cake.

http://channelnine. ninemsn.com. au/blog. aspx? blogentryid=6657
16&showcomments=true

samsara11, Jul 17, 8:36am
Those were my thoughts and I did make it (now telling the truth lol) and it certainly was dense, I would say more like heavy. I am going to try it again with raising agent and see how it goes but it is quite an expensive recipe to just trial (as I dont eat cake! ! )

uli, Jul 17, 8:46am
Well the pic in that link looks like you could use it as a brick.
Not sure why you would want to make such a heavy cake?

samsara11, Jul 17, 8:50am
I did have a lovely recipe for a lemon sour cream cake but I cannot remember what book it was in (I have LOTS of recipe books)I must admit this one did disappoint me but I find AWW recipes are usuallly reliable

winnie231, Jul 17, 9:16am
samsara11 - have you ever made cookessentials lemon yoghurt cake?
It is very good & you can easily substitute plain flour + raising agent for the s. r. flour.

Lemon Yoghurt Cake
This recipe has been in the family for over 25 years it was given to my Mother a friend in Seattle hence the use of a "bundt" tin. Bundt tins are available for sale in our catalogue. The cake keeps extremely well and freezes beautifully. Just remember to grease tin well with butter and dust with flour, shaking off the excess before filling with mixture.
Ingredients:
1 & 3/4 cups caster sugar
rind 2-3 lemons
2 eggs
1 cup sunflower oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt (not low fat)
2-3 tsp lemon juice
2 cups self raising flour
Method:
Beat eggs, oil, sugar and peel together in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Butter and flour a 24cm bundt tin . Bake at 180C for thirty minutes. Test with a cake tester. Let cake rest only 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Dust cold cake with sifted icing sugar.

cookessentials

winnie231, Jul 17, 9:17am
Just to add - I make this in a regular ring tin with no probs.

samsara11, Jul 17, 9:18am
Thanks winnie. I will certainly try that one

marcs, Jul 17, 11:29am
I think you can use all self raising flour which will give a light texture but from what I have looked at, the sour cream cakes have very little raising agent which means they are going to be heavy.

samsara11, Jul 17, 6:46pm
Yes, sorry it is that cake

lulu239, Jul 17, 8:13pm
There are cakes of various densities, sponge, madiera, fruit etc. I made the Whole Orange Whizz Cake and it was heavy (my fault? ), but it was delicious. Just because the recipe makes a dense cake doesn't mean it is a failure. If I don't like something I try to put a comment beside it and probably not use it again. I had looked at that recipe and thought of trying it. I thought that it may be a different texture as it had no icing just a dusting of icing sugar.

pickles7, Jul 17, 9:10pm
lol just what I was thinking. . The way it looks at the edges is a give away, it also looks to be vey dry, this cake was made by the best freind, of the three judges.

samsara11, Jul 18, 7:36am
I think you may be right. I hate being beaten (excuse the pun) but I will try it again with ordinary flour and bp just to see what happens. Mine was half the thickness and was not dense it was a blerdy rock (or as we used to say at boarding school "sinker")

charli08, Nov 11, 6:18am
Why not? Cakes such as this make an excellent sculpting cake for decorating and other such items requiring good structure. This cake is actually very nice. But then I guess when you have a soured opinion of other people's recipes your baking is sometimes like a brick.