Syrup cake

imallthere, Jul 16, 11:58pm
does anyone know a recipe for this, its like a plain sponge kinda cake and you have a syrup that you pour over it once it is cooked and it all seeps to the bottom and makes a delicious desert?

thanks in advance!

cookessentials, Jul 17, 12:20am
Syrup cakes can be sponge like or more like a madeira and firmer. While they are hot, you pour over the syrup which seeps into the cake making it moist and sticky and ideal as a dessert style of cake.
Greek coconut cake would have to be my all time favourite.

cookessentials, Jul 17, 12:26am
LEMON AND ROSEMARY SYRUP CAKE

250g butter, softened
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
330g caster sugar
3 eggs
260g self-raising flour
125ml lemon juice
300ml sour cream
1/2 cup water
220g caster sugar
1 sprig rosemary
10cm piece lemon rind

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line and 14cm x 22cm loaf pan.

Beat butter and rind in medium bowluntil pale and fluffy. Add sugar; beat again until pale. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Gently beat in sifted flour and sour cream until just combined. Spread into prepared tin.
Bake in preheated oven 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.

Stand 5 minutes before turning out on a wire rack over a baking tray to cool.

Meanwhile, combine juice, water, sugar, rosemary and rind in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves; brush down edge of saucepan with a pastry brush dipped in water to prevent crystallisation. Bring to a boil; simmer, uncovered 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Using a skewer, poke small holes all over top of cake. Pour hot syrup over room temperature cake, ensuring syrup runs all over top and sides of cake. Stand 20 minutes to allow syrup to absorb. Serve withcream

imallthere, Jul 17, 12:52am
oh thanks so much! you have made my day XXX

imallthere, Jul 17, 7:03am
that was absolutely beautiful! ! ! !

cookessentials, Jul 17, 7:10am
Glad you liked it. Did you add the Rosemary?

imallthere, Jul 17, 7:58am
yes i did!

cookessentials, Nov 29, 3:10am
i made this again over the weekend. I had not had it in a while and I must say, I had forgotten how nice it was.