Calling all cake bakers

amarni1, Jul 15, 9:25pm
what do you prefer? Silicone or non stick bake wear? Its my little boys 1st birthday soon, and I have a 25 cm square silicone cake mold, but i prefer the non stick ones. Why - i don't know. Is it really worth buying one for this? What do you think?

2halls, Jul 15, 9:31pm
I prefer the old fashioned metal tins, for the reason that you get a nicer cooked edge on your cake. I line them with baking paper, and I don't see that it's any more work to do this ? I have some silicone muffin cups, and I don't like the slightly 'damp' finish they give to the outside of the muffins. You can often find old fashioned cake tins in op shops (eg The Sally's), so maybe that would be an inexpensive option for you ? :-)

cookessentials, Jul 15, 10:03pm
I am a metal tin user ( apart from the wooden cake box for Christmas cakes) - call me a purist, but I find the cakes cook far more evenly, they brown better and the pans are far easier to handle. I love silicone for spatulas and other implements but do not bake with it.

lizab, Jul 15, 11:40pm
agree with 2halls and cooks - I do have silicone muffin trays, but don't like them for all the above reasons. Hope your son enjoys his 1st birthday =)

midgetmum, Jul 16, 12:56am
I love the silicone cake dishes - I use a ring one and a round one constantly. The only trick is to make sure the cake is cold before turning it out, or it will stick. Sometimes I grease them, but not always, never worry with muffin trays and they are turned out hot.
I am a huge fan and haven't used tins for a very long time! They can be screwed up andshoved in your cupboard easily too. I have got the very first ones that came out though which cost me about $30 each at the time and the silicone is much "firmer" than the ones available now. New silicone dishes are pretty flimsy from some places.

kabbo, Jul 16, 12:57am
ditto from me.

amarni1, Oct 30, 2:41pm
thanks every one. Yes I think I will look for thegood old tins. Just good to get other peoples thoughts. So excited! You would think it was my birthday or something! !