Pie Inspiration please

lizab, Jul 14, 12:16am
I asked hubby what he wanted for dinner tonight and he's requested a pie! ! I told him I'd make him an egg on toast and then apple pie for pudding! ! Seriously though, I'm lacking inspiration today! I'm on a farm so have freezers full of meat, but when I open the lid, nothing grabs my attention. Help please - thank you =)

lizab, Jul 14, 12:29am
ps - we had fish for dinner last night, so I won't be making a fish pie. I know I'm leaving it really late - I'm thinking of having to cook up a stew type dish for a couple of hours and then leaving it to cool before making the pastry - maybe he can have pie tomorrow! !

fisher, Jul 14, 12:40am
Here ya go. . put ya out of all that worry...
Chicken Pie. . Preheat oven to 180 c
Precook 2 -3 boneless chicken thighs until nicely browned in a little butter/oil . . Slice/shred chicken and set aside...
Ingredients:. .
2 tbsp butter . . 2 tbsp flour . . 1 cup finely chopped parsley. . fresh ground black pepper. . 300ml milk. . 1 cup thawed peas. .
1 large carrot chopped small and pre boiled. . 1 chicken oxo cube. .
Method:
Place the butter in a large saucepan and melt adding the flour stirring all the whileRemove from heat and add the milk and stir a little till mixed...
Add the chicken pieces, parsley, peas and precooked carrots. Add salt and pepper to taste . Place on low heat and stir for a minute.
Line a suitable dish with puff pastry and pour in the chicken mix. Sprinkle the crushed chicken oxo cube over the top
Add a lid of pastry, brush with milk and prick. or alternatively top with mashed potato and a sprinkle of paprika.
Cook in oven for 20-30 mins or until golden brown... .

fisher, Jul 14, 12:43am
OR...
Mince Pie. . Preheat oven to 190 c
Ingredients:
600g - 700g mince. . 1 beef oxo cubes. . 1 large onion finely diced. . 1 tsp marmite/vegemite. . 2tbsp of cornflour. . Water . .
1/2 cup frozen peas. . 1 cup small precooked carrot pieces. . 1 dash of worcestershire sauce. . salt and pepper. .
Method:
Place the thawed mince in a medium saucepan and cover with water. . Boil, stir and break up until mince is cooked through . . Drain well . . Add fresh water to cover the cooked mince and add the onions, marmite and oxo cubes. .
Stir well and cook until the onions are soft adding salt and pepper to taste. . Add the frozen peas and precooked carrots to the pot; mix in...
Take the cornflour and add to 1/4 cup of warm water. . stir until smooth. . add this to the pot and stir and cook until just thickened...
Pour this mixture into a pre prepared pie dish lined with puff pastry. . Cover the top with pastry, crimp the edges and brush with milk. . Prick the top and bake at 190c for 30 mins or until crust is lightly browned...
Variations:...
Add mashed potato for the top with a sprinkle of paprika...
Add mashed potato and grated cheese for the top with a sprinkle of paprika...

lizab, Jul 14, 1:23am
thx fisher - I've taken out some mince from the freezer and was thinking of doing a potato top pie, so your recipe is just perfect! You're wonderful, thank you =)

cookessentials, Jul 14, 1:55am
What about chicken and leek pie with a nice flakey top?

daleaway, Jul 14, 2:02am
Good idea #6, I made these at the weekend with the addition of bacon pieces, and they went down a treat. You don't need a recipe - just make the proportions you think you would like. Thicken with a little Philly Cream for Cooking, which I tried for the first time and it works.

hel.ben, Oct 25, 7:15pm
well, if you were thinking of giving him an egg for dinner, and he wants a pie why dont you just make him good ol bacon and egg pie :)