I have a huge Pumpkin

tarshlove, Jul 11, 4:03am
that my son grew(8yrs) I want to use this to make a yummy soup as that is what he grew it for.
I would like to do it in the crock pot if possible, unless it comes out yummier another way. TYIA

darlingmole, Jul 11, 4:05am
best advice I've ever been given ... roast the pumpkin pieces first - the taste is so much more intense and delicious. Then make as usual in the crock

tarshlove, Jul 11, 4:10am
Does it make any difference what type of pumpkin it is? This one is a giant pumpkin about 30 cm in diameter.

calista, Jul 11, 4:16am
Clever boy.

Sounds like you might have some over to make other pumpkin yummies.

I've always used greyskin ones for soup, but I don't think it makes much difference.

uli, Jul 11, 4:17am
If it is a "Giant pumpkin" then chances are that it is an Atlantic Giant - which is of the species Curcubita pepo - the same as marrows and courgettes.

It will be orange inside, but a bit more watery than a "normal" pumpkin like Whangaparoa crown or buttercup or butternut.

Best roasted first to remove some water and when cooked add some cream.

fifie, Jul 11, 4:19am
Yep roast the pumpkin first makes all the difference to the flavour of the soup. I have made a heap of recipes over the years and this one of purplegonnas is a just the best, gets great reviews every winter on T/Me. Roast Pumpkin & Garlic Soup
Use a whole lge white skinned ‘Crown or Grey pumpkins’, cut into wedges, peel skin, deseeded then half again, roast in olive oil with 1-2 lge garlic bulbs, broken into cloves and peeled. Separately dice & fry 5-6 rashers of bacon in a large saucepan. After bacon is browned add pumpkin pieces & garlic. Use a stick blender to blend into a smooth mix, adding enough chicken stock while blending until you get a nice thick soup consistency, then add, salt, pepper & 1tsp curry powder to taste. Reheat on low heat slowly and serve with grilled cheese toast. To impress guests add a dollop of sour cream just before serving, use a toothpick and draw lines from sour cream out into soup, then serve.

tarshlove, Jul 11, 4:19am
Thanks Uli Ill do that would I be able to do this recipe with it and do this in the crock pot? http://joseagar.com/recipes/category:soups/curries-kumara-pu
mpkin-chowder/

uli, Jul 11, 4:22am
Yes - I cannot see why not. Even if it gets a bit too soft - if you are going to puree it anyway there is no problem. It might just not taste as intensive as other drier pumpkins that is all.

tarshlove, Jul 11, 4:33am
Awesome thanks lovee :o)

tarshlove, Jul 11, 4:35am
Found this one some one had posted in another thread that I will try later in the week.

Crock Pot Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients 1oz (30g) butter 2lb (1kg) Pumpkin – peeled and cut into inch square pieces 1 medium onion 2 cloves stuck into the onion 2 tspn sugar salt to taste – pinch 2½ cup Chicken Stock 1 cup Milk Method 1. Place butter and pumpkin in crock pot and put onto high. When butter has melted, stir to coat pumpkin and cook for 1 hour on high. (If in hurry, just wait for butter to melt, stir and go to step 2 ignore the hour cooking – still turns out great just slightly less intense flavor). 2. Add onion, sugar, salt and stock. Cover and cook for 8-9 hours on Low OR 4-5 hours on High. 3. When ready to serve, remove the onion. 4. Puree soup in a blender or use a hand held device. 5. Add milk, to achieve correct consistency. (DO NOT add milk if intending on freezing – just freeze as is. Can add milk when thawed). 6. Serve with a sprinkling of Nutmeg and a dollop of sour cream

uli, Jul 11, 5:16am
Sounds good too.

I usually cook a whole pumpkin in peeled slices in just enough water so that it steams. Then use it as a side dish (like potatoes) with lots of butter the first day.

Any leftovers can be either frozen or used in a stew or mashed the next day and slowly reheated with more cream or butter and some chilli as a soup.

I love half cooked stuff in my fridge so I can just go and make a lovely meal out of anything that is there when I am in a hurry.

beaker59, Jul 11, 5:18am
Sounds nice tarshlove.

My wife likes my soups but doesn't like pureed soups so I now make mine without the food processor (which she bought me as a wedding pressie:) but I have to say I now preffer my soups with cubed veg instead of slush as the wife describes it makes pumkin soup easy chicken stock and cooked herbs then roasted pumkin skined and cubed then served maybe with a garnish of sour cream and chopped corriander etc

uli, Jul 11, 5:31am
I often let the soup just thicken a bit, but with pieces still intact. Other times I roughly mash with the potato masher, but I never really puree as such either.

taranaki63, Jul 11, 7:28am
my wife has a huge ass

pickles7, Jul 11, 8:02am
so, she likes pumpkin soup, I bet.

toadfish, Oct 18, 9:52am
What a random thing to say... Just hope Mrs Taranaki doesn't see this or your in HUGE trouble.

RFLMHO