Mama's Cake

Page 1 / 4
cookessentials, Sep 8, 9:20pm
Glad you enjoyed it

susieq9, Sep 8, 9:44pm
After reading this, will have to get some ingrediants when I go to town tomorrow!!! Will only do half the recipe though, or the TWO of us will eat it all. Thanks for the recipes. Now the waiting begins!!

cookessentials, Feb 13, 8:05pm
Someone asked for a goood tiramisu recipe. This is "Mama's Cake" and is a delicious tiramisu done in a loaf tin, so it makes for easy slicing. Be warned, it is EXTREMELY rich. The recipe comes from a real Italian "Mama" and is quite delicious.

3/4 cup espresso coffee ( or very strong coffee)
1/4 cup rum
1/2 cup caster sugar
4 egg yolks
3/4 tub cream cheese at room temp
1 tsp vanilla essence ( use pure if you can)
2 1/2 cups cream
1 pkt digestive biscuits
1/4 cup cocoa ( I use a good quality Dutch "Blookers" cocoa)

Make coffee and allow to cool. Mix with the rum and set aside. Beat sugar & egg yolks together in a large bowl until light and creamy. Beat in the cream cheese until mixture is very smooth. In a clean bowl, beat together the cream and vanilla until mixture is of a thick, pouring consistency. Do NOT beat until it is like whipped cream.
Beat together the cream cheese mixture with cream until it is thick and spreadable. Line a loaf tin with plastic wrap or tinfoil ( usually use the foil) and smooth the edges out. Spread 1/5th of the mixture in bottom of tin. Quickly dip digestives in the coffee/rum mix and place a layer of biscuits on top of the cream mixture and sprinkle liberally with sifted cocoa. Repeat three layers, finishing with a layer of cream and cocoa. Refrigerate overrnight or minimum of 4 hours ( I prefer overnight for a firmer dessert which is easier to slice) Serve sliced with seasonal fruits.

davidt4, Feb 13, 8:23pm
Here is a more classic recipe, which is delicious and not too heavy.

Tiramisu

4 tab rum
100 ml strong black coffee
2 tab brandy
16 - 20 sponge fingers (or equivalent sponge cake)
400g mascarpone
2 free range eggs, separated
4 tab icing sugar
100 g dark chocolate, grated

Mix 2 tab rum with coffee and brandy. Quickly dip sponge fingers in mixture (do not saturate) and lay in shallow serving dish.

Beat together the mascarpone, egg yolks, icing sugar and remaining rum. Whisk egg whites to soft peaks and fold into mascarpone mixture. Spoon over sponge, sprinkle with chocolate.

Refrigerate at least 8 hours. Will keep refrigerated several days.

griffo4, Feb 13, 9:03pm
This recipe was given to me from Argentina and is really nice with no alcohol, and thank you both cookessentials & davidt4 for your lovely recipes which l will be trying as well.

Tiramisu

6 Yolks eggs
200gms sugar
500gms cream cheese
orange peel
vanilla essence
24 sponge fingers
1 cup of a strong coffee (with sugar)
cinnamon
cocoa

Mix in a bowl which is sitting in pot of hot water, the yolks with sugar and the orange peel until all the mixture is dissolved then add the cream cheese.
Dunk the sponge fingers in the coffee, and put them on the bottom of a rectangular container.
Make a row of sponge fingers, one of cream, remembering that the last one must be off cream and dust with cocoa and cinnamon.

vinee, Feb 14, 1:54am
Yay - I prefer the taste of cream cheese in tiramisu!
Thought I was being uncool.

It goes well with coffee and Marscapone is quite tasteless in comparison.

cookessentials, Feb 14, 5:20am
Not at all vinee -as for the "classic" the "mama's cake" is from an Italian "Mama" and the cream cheese with the eggs, vanilla etc is perfectly fine. One can get a little too anal about these things I think. Try it, you wont be disappointed. Savoiardi bisccuits are usually the traditional, but the option in Mama's cake is very tasty and you would not know it was a biscuit when it is served, it adds a delicious tecture and flavour to the dish.

cookessentials, Feb 14, 6:50pm
Serve it with some seasonal fruit... ... when we were growing berries, I served it with red currants, black currants and fresh raspberries which made a nice contrast.

vinee, Feb 14, 9:05pm
That's exactly how I make it already, but with the savoiardi biks instead of the digestives.
I just don't say what's in it! People always loooove it.
I once had a version done with a chocolatey creamy business and raspberries ... damn!

darlingmole, Feb 14, 9:13pm
I think I've gained kilo's just reading the above recipes~!
All sound delightful:-)

red2, Feb 14, 9:22pm
i have made DavidT 's version and it was veeerrrrryyyy nice ! !

maysept, Feb 14, 9:38pm
Oooh that sounds good, will give it a try!

unknowndisorder, Feb 18, 6:12am
Is it possible to freeze this or has no one tried?
No way can two of us finish it off (believe me, we're trying), and while I'll give some away, would be great if it is freezable.
(cookessential's recipe)

cookessentials, Feb 18, 6:46am
I have never frozen it, so cannot really answer that one for you. I shall try google and see if it is a possibilty.

cookessentials, Feb 18, 6:49am
well, I asked the question on Google "can tiramisu be frozen" and the answer is yes. I do wonder what it would be like after it has thawed? ie: will it be watery. You could always try some of it in the freezer ( a couple of slices to see what the results would be.
Have you made it then? - what did you think?

unknowndisorder, Feb 18, 7:38am
Doh, you replied so quickly, I hadn't even realised you had replied.
I made it, but the cocoa I thought I had turned out to be drinking chocolate, but no matter. I did grate some chocolate for the top.
I didn't have a loaf tin (threw it out years ago, I guess), so had bought another one and then looked at how much mix there was and picked another baking dish.

Right, now seriously. As my husband and I both love strong coffee, I would make it a bit differently next time, by using less water making the coffee (therefore stronger).

Thank you so much for the recipe, now I know how much it makes, so would adjust the quantities next time. I have to say, today it seemed gruntier in a good way (made it on Tuesday as Wednesday was our anniversary) - definitely make it the day before you want to eat it, or even a day earlier.

I will put a bit in the freezer and see how it comes out and let you know :)

morgana-rose, Feb 18, 10:11am
I have lingered on the recipe boards for awhile and helped a little, im a shy person to post on here but i just want to say a big thank you to cooking essentals and davidt4 for there amazing recipies they have put on here thank you both you are both amazining also a big thank you to valentino you also have some amazing recipies big hugs to the 3 of you

cookessentials, Feb 18, 6:00pm
You are welcome morgana-rose, glad you enjoy them. Hey, dont be so shy posting, it is a great way to get to know each other( in a cyber sort of way) The Mama's cake seems to improve in flavour over time. You can get a good size loaf tin - from memory, I use a medium but you can get quite large ones or a bread loaf tin which is quite deep.

vinee, Feb 18, 9:14pm
I hadn't read thru the method of yours, just the ingrediants!
I always do it in a flat dish rather than a loaf tin.
Not that is will taste different, of course, but my deep quiche dish is prettier to serve it in than my well used loaf tin!

unknowndisorder, Mar 1, 8:22pm
Just to update the freezing part = I gave the piece away, so can't compare, but the recipient thought it was fine.
Cheers :)

cookessentials, Mar 1, 10:10pm
Hey vinee, you dont serve it in the loaf tin! turn it out onto a serving platter and then slice, it looks lovely sliced with a few fresh berries on the side.

cookessentials, Mar 1, 10:46pm
It is interesting that this particular thread has been stolen by www.stacksofrecipes.com they have not asked my permission to have it on their site, however, they do delete which ever parts of the section they dont want, like our protests! !

darlingmole, Mar 1, 10:58pm
hey cookessentials - is this legal for them to keep stealing without the authors permission? It's a wonderful forum in here that is now being hi-jacked but some unknown person and for what benefit? Their own glory (regardless that they put up the authors pseudonym)? ? I think it's rather low indeed

cookessentials, Mar 1, 11:04pm
I am not sure of the legalities DM, however, hopefully Trademe will look into it.

greerg, Mar 2, 5:59am
Noooo - I am really trying to cut down andbe good but now I want this. Pam do you break up the digestives so you get a complete layer or just layer them on whole and ignore the gaps please?