Mutton. I have a piece to cook and wonder how

clair4, Jul 10, 10:34am
long to cook it and what temperature of the oven. Have not cooked mutton for years, but I believe it is very tasty.

annie642, Jul 10, 11:49am
depends how big a piece? ?
If it's a leg roast I'd do it at 150c for bout 3 hrs. Use an oven bag or baste it often to keep moist. YUM

margyr, Jul 10, 6:52pm
put some slits in it with the point of a knife go to different depths and put a sliver of garlic in each hole, if you have some also put rosemary in some of the holes, salt the outside of the meat and either in an oven bag or roasting dish with a lid. I also put about an inch or so of water in the dish, turn it over after an hour, then after another hour turn it again and put veges in leave the lid off and let it do another hour, you should not have to add any fat to the vege, turn them (vege) over after about 30 mins, and another 30 mins later everything should be yum.

lythande1, Jul 10, 10:31pm
How big is it? I cook a leg slowly. 5 or 6 hours at 120 degrees.

rubyjane11, Jul 10, 10:35pm
I also cook slowly for a good 5 hours

rumbledoll, Jul 10, 10:39pm
It really depends. . is it an old fatty bit of mutton or a nice leg... I live on a farm and we don't do anything fancy -- a bit of water in the roasting pan - put the mutton in on about 180 degrees and leave till it looks brown and sizzling then let it rest then break it apart. Mutton if cooked through should just fall apart and not be able to be carved in slices.

donnabeth, Jul 10, 10:43pm
Will it fit in the crockpot? If so, rub it with seasoning and drop it into a crockpot with nothing else added and cook on high for about 6 hours(that's for my 30 year old Sunbeam) It creates its own gravy as it cooks and is deliciously moist and tender. Leftovers make a lovely shepherds pie.

fisher, Jul 11, 1:28am
Roast Mutton. . Preheat oven to 160c
salt . . pepper . . 8 large onions. . red wine... flour. .
Peel onions and slice from top to bottom making crescents, then layer to make bed for leg. . Sprinkle with 2 tsp of salt. .
Place leg on top of onions. . Pour 400ml of red wine on top, a grind of black pepper sprinkle of salt and then tightly cover with tinfoil.
In oven at 160c for 5 hours.
After 4. 5 hours, lift foil at one end, and just before serving , remove foil and turn oven up to 200c for 5 mins...
On bench covered with foil to rest
Gravy:
Carefully tip off excess fat, but leave some in the pan to brown the flour in... Put on stove element and add 4 tbsp flour...
Cook, stirring, taking care that nothing starts to burn in the pan until the flour is cooked, then add water and a 100ml of red wine.
Simmer, check seasoning, tip into gravy boat and serve if want chunky or can use a stick blender to chop all up if wanted smoother. .

clair4, Oct 17, 5:16pm
Thanks all for your ideas. It is frozen at the moment, but will probably cook it slowly for at least 5 hours. Will go through all your ideas once more. Thanks.