Upsizing cake/ cookie recipes

newsense, Jul 10, 10:37am
I'm trying to upsize - double and triple a cake/ cookie recipe, and wonder if anyone has tips... I've heard if you have recipes with baking soda and baking powder, you can't just double everything. I'm also using pumpkin and oil (rather than butter), and find sometimes when I upsize the mixture is too wet. Any tips or suggestions please?

pickles7, Jul 10, 10:47pm
What are you up sizing?
In the search function , on your left , Write ... pickles7... on the key word member space, and scroll down to ... anytime ... on the date posted, . You may find what you are looking for there.

newsense, Jul 11, 12:11am
Thanks Pickles... there's some great recipes etc there! ! Its actually a specific recipe for pumpkin cookies I'm wanting to upsize... most sites I've looked at just convert recipes to double/ triple, but this doesn't necessarily work for all recipes (and not this one very well), so thought there might be some successful formulas people have come up with?

2halls, Jul 11, 12:15am
What I do is this:if I'm doubling the recipe, then I just go ahead and double everything. If I'm trebling the recipe, then I treble everything EXCEPT the raising agent/s (eg the baking powder or soda), I just double them. This has always worked for me. I have done this more often with biscuits than cakes, so as far as I'm concerned it works. If you treble everything, you end up with too much raising agent, and it can leave an aftertaste. Good luck :-)

pickles7, Jul 11, 12:27am
If you are using cooked pumpkin, put all the wet ingredients in a bowl then add most of the dry, adding more untill you get the desired consistency. I wouldn't take the risk using grated raw pumpkin, with all the other ingredients involved. . Carrots on the other hand, are all very much the same in texture and moisture.

newsense, Jul 11, 12:47am
thanks y'all, and 2halls - will definitely try that!

juliewn, Oct 17, 4:54pm
I double or triple everything so there's the right balance between flour / baking powder or other rising agent, and between wet and dry ingredients. . this then results in the finishing result being how it was intended in the recipe.

It's great to double or triple for baking to freeze. .