Your yummiest Pumpkin Soup recipes please!!

aadunn77, Jul 10, 9:51am
Ive made a chicken stock, so Im ready and waiting for tomorrow! Im keen to try one thats slightly tanged with some indian spices if that works with it and served with feta! ? ?

darlingmole, Jul 10, 10:05am
Best advice here ... ROAST your pumpkin pieces first! This makes the soup so tasty, trust me, this is a very good trick. As for Indian spices? Well I normally fry up some curry powder, cumin, tumeric, garam masala in some butter with ginger/onion/garlic - add flour to make a roux then add cream/milk and lastly chicken stock.
Mash your roasted pumpkin and add to the soup/sauce mix and add extra stock or milk/cream as desired.

elliehen, Jul 10, 12:29pm
The secret to the 'yummiest' soup, for me, has always been using the best quality fully-ripe pumpkin. No other ingredients will compensate for an inferior pumpkin.

aadunn77, Jul 10, 9:49pm
Cheers guys, sound advice!

seb28, Jul 10, 9:56pm
That's true. I got given some not quite ripe pumpkins by my lovely father-in-law. . soup was tasteless and watery, it was a good lesson. Pumpkins are from the melon "family" and when they are unripe they have a melon smell when cut.

jaybee2003, Jul 10, 10:02pm
If you do happen to be stuck with a not so ripe pumpkin when you go to make pumpkin soup, adding carrots helps improve the flavour and colour, and potato will help improve the texture.

rog.e, Oct 16, 3:16am
I sometimes place small crumbled up pieces of crispy bacon onto each plate and serve the soup over that.

Croutons go particularly well with Pumpkin soups especially if they are a little bit garlicky.

I also always add a good pinch of Nutmeg to the soup in the last minutes of cooking.

V