What's a special and tasty way to roast a chicken?

sarah55555, Jul 9, 12:24am
Roasting a chicken today but would love to try something different. Any great suggestions?

2halls, Jul 9, 12:27am
Stuff it with quartered lemons and (if you have it) some fresh rosemary sprigs ... imparts a gorgeous flavour :-)

valentino, Jul 9, 12:35am
Agree with this one plus the use of lemon thyme.

Also similar again with a knob of butter in between the skin and breasts plus the thighs works a treat as well.

trading_gibsons, Jul 9, 12:38am
Similar to others, rub in with lemon juice & rind +sesame oil to skin

sarah55555, Jul 9, 12:42am
Sound delicious, will keep those in mind. Anything ideas without lemon, we've been eating lemon cakes and are all lemoned out.

vintagekitty, Jul 9, 12:58am
I make a cranberry stuffing and baste it with olive oil mixed with rosemary, sage and tarragon, its really lovely

pickles7, Jul 9, 1:09am
cook up some rice, take a look around and see what you have to add interest, chili, curry, nuts, fruit, mushrooms, garlic, dried or fresh, any three of those would be nice , season, use your sensors. You could bind it with an egg, after you have tasted, but there is nothing wrong with a spoon of nice rice along side your chicken. good luck .

trading_gibsons, Jul 9, 1:17am
coat with plum sauce & orange juice

mopsy3, Jul 9, 3:20am
lemon juice salt and cumin all onto the skin. Yummy and easy.

cookessentials, Jul 9, 4:58am
A nice herby stuffing stuffed under the skin is yummy. i am sure fisher has a recipe. I have one, but it is at home.

motorbo, Jul 9, 6:18am
yup lemon and thyme is nice, but my fave at the mo is good old plain parika and salt shaken over it

seb28, Jul 9, 6:25am
I drizzle olive oil over the chook and then I spread some dijon mustard and some crushed garlic. A sprinkle of the herb tarragon all over the bird, some salt and pepper and she's ready to bung into the oven! Smells yum when it's cooking! !

fisher, Jul 9, 6:53am
yup... seb28... Kirinesha put me on to tarragon and chicken...
superb match. . as is sage and onion and I also like rosemary butter squeezed all under the skin and olive oil smeared all over... sprinkle of salt... delicimo... crispy skin... .

sultana0, Jul 9, 10:25pm
I'm going to smoke a whole chook in my smoker for 20mins then transfer it to the oven to roast off. I've done it a couple of times and it is devine.

fisher, Jul 9, 10:45pm
sultana. . may I suggest you do it the other way round... roast first then smoke. . safer health wise as in the smoker, the chook doesn't get up to temperature for that medium... :}

sultana0, Jul 11, 12:51am
Thanks fisher, I sort of knew about the low heat, smoke thing. Thats why I thought I'd roast it once I had smoked it to kill the greeblies. I will try your way and see how it goes. We had the chook last night for tea and it was devine. PS I brined it in salt and brown sugar before smoking.

sultana0, Jul 11, 12:55am
I bought a wire chicken stand from one of those letterbox delivered goods magazines (lady down the street does it and delivers them)and stood the chook upright in the smoker (keg smoker with gas hob). This helps get an even smoke inside and out of the chook.

fisher, Jul 11, 1:11am
Yup I was given one as a pressy from a "nice" recipe poster. . I enjoy cooking a chook in the hooded BBQ and shove a HALF can of lemonade up its gunga :} It boils and the lemony flavour permeates the chook from the inside. . I usually have a rosemary herbed butter squeezed under the skin and use a brush made with tied up rosemary sprigs to baste it with melted butter occasionally. . small caste iron smoker for the last half hour for a subtle smokey flavour. .
If folks dont have one they can make one by using tinfoil. . Large piece folder in half and then three edges folded over. . small 1cm hole in the middle on one side. . place some stripped rosemary leaves and manuka sawdust into the pocket and fold over the last edge. .
Gentle shake to spread out. . make two of these and place one each side of the standing chook for the last half hour of cooking, hole side up and over the flames. . Just discard went done. .

jaybee2003, Jul 11, 1:33am
MEXICAN ROAST CHICKEN is dead easy and is great for a winters day served with an olive salsa and mexican rice, or in summer cold with a sundried tomato/olive/feta cheese/mesculin/cucumber salad. Or simply with ordinary roast veges and green beans.

Mexican Roast Chicken: Mix together garlic salt, cumin powder and chili powder. Rub oil over the outside of the chicken. Sprinkle all over with the dried spice mixture. Cook as per usual.

Olive Salsa: mix together any of: chopped olives, tomato, onion, white/black beans [tinned and drained], garlic, corn kernels, feta cubes and season to taste with olive oil, white wine vinegar, or cilantro flavoured vinegar, and or add tabasco sauce for a bit of heat. Play around with it and work it to taste. Add salt if needed and or a squeeze of lime or lemon juice. Etc. Leftovers great for tossing into salad with the remaining chook cold the next day, or for taco's.

tarshlove, Jul 30, 4:00am
Bumping for more ideas

jmonster, Jul 30, 6:49am
I have made this before and it was delicious, but I only made 1 chicken, so halved the ingredients. I also did not marinade overnight but instead for about half a day.
I thought splitting the chicken would be tricky but was pretty easy with a big knife.

Portuguese Chicken
2 x No. 10 chickens, unstuffed
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoons chilli flakes
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Method
Split chickens down their breast bones. Press chickens to open flat. Place chickens into a ovenproof dish.

Whisk lime, oil, garlic, chilli flakes, salt, coriander, paprika and oregano together in a jug. Pour over chickens. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 200°C. Remove cover. Roast chickens, basting with marinade, for 50 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

winnie231, Dec 10, 12:05pm
This is a recipe from another member here - kirinesha ...

Roadkill Chicken

• 1 large chicken
• sprigs of fresh rosemary and sage
• ½ lemon
• 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 bulb garlic separated and peeled
• 2 large red capsicums

Cut the chicken in half down the backbone, dislocate leg and wing joints and lay chicken out flat (as in roadkill! ) remove any fat from rear end but leave skin on as it is divine. . . . .

Rinse chicken, pat dry, sprinkle inside of chicken with salt and rosemary and lay skin side up in large ovenproof dish over sage sprigs.

Rub the skin with cut side of lemon, sprinkle with rosemary and salt, drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper.

Cook for 30 minutes at 200 C, basting often.

Lower heat to 180C and cook for a further 30 minutes.

Add garlic cloves and capsicums cut into 8 pieces.

Cook another 30 minutes till well browned. Put on large platter and cut into pieces at the table.