Cooking chickpeas

tarshlove, Jul 8, 9:55pm
Hey guys i have a crock pot recipe that say add a tin of canned chick peas however I only have dry chickpeas. Can you tell me how to cook them quickly from dry please. TYIA

cookessentials, Jul 8, 9:59pm
You need to soak them overnight first. Cover with water and bring to boil Skim off foam and turn to low until cooked.

hezwez, Jul 8, 10:04pm
And a tablespoon of cooking oil on the surface will reduce the foam too.

2halls, Jul 8, 10:18pm
If you need an alternative bean in a hurry ... tip a can of baked beans into a sieve, rinse under the tap to get the sauce off, and use them :-)

tarshlove, Jul 8, 10:31pm
I'm doing a packet mix (bad I know) it's Sausage & tomato casserole.
It asks for 8 sausages, 1 onion, 300g can of chickpeas, 400gm can of tomatoes and the pkt mix. I heard you can just put the chickpeas in dry

cookessentials, Jul 8, 10:37pm
Pressure cooker - 15-20 mins.

tarshlove, Jul 8, 11:07pm
I don't have one lol looks like ill have to substitute them.
Thanks for all your help :o)

beaker59, Jul 9, 5:16am
Tip a 500g of dried chickpeas in your crock pot in the evening cover well with water. The next day drain water then replace until covered water and cook on high for 4-6 hours they are ready when soft I have had them overcook and fall apart to mush so keep an eye on it until you work out how long it takes in your slow cooker. I then pack them in jars with the juice and store in refrigerator or if I can't use then up within a week and a half I will freeze them in plastic bags. The juices set like a jelly and I add that as well to soups and casseroles etc as it has a nice flavour.

buzzy110, Jul 9, 5:58am
Yes, like beaker says, always throw away the water you soak your beans in. Never cook them in the soaking water.

All legumes, to a certain degree, contain a toxin (can't remember the name now). Most only contain small amounts, like chickpeas, so throwing away the soaking water is sufficient, but others, like kidney beans can have rather a lot and need to have their soaking water changed at least twice, and then bought to the boil and that water discarded as well.

lilyfield, Jul 9, 6:03am
I have eaten an awful lot of beans in my long life and never discarded the soaking water- I am still alive, not even ill. How come?

beaker59, Jul 9, 6:33am
Lily the effect is mild generally but mainly shows as flatulence I also don't bother sometimes and I have no issue but my wife can get a bit ill and gassy from the red beans particularly. I take the precaution as all authorities advise it, some I am lead to believe can also affect liver function.

calista, Jul 9, 10:18am
Thanks beaker. I cooked them for too long and ended with mush. Given your suggestions I'll try again. I really like chickpeas.

hezwez, Jul 9, 11:36am
Chickpea mush is the basis of hummus. Add some tahini and lemon juice and salt , blend, and enjoy.

hezwez, Jul 9, 11:38am
You do need to chuck away the red kidney bean soaking water, and rinse the beans, and boil briskly for a minimum of ten minutes before simmering until tender, but you certainly don't need to throw away the water they're boiled in. It makes a nice base for soups, casseroles etc. and isn't harmful at all.

kaydee16, Jul 9, 11:42am
I aways just soak them for 8 hrs or so, drain, rinse and put straight into whatever I'm making - casserole, vege curry etc. As long as your meal is cooked for at least 20 minutes after adding, they're done.

hezwez, Jul 9, 12:25pm
Red kidney beans are the notable exception to this, though, as casseroles and curries, crockpots etc wouldn't reach the temperature to kill the toxin phytohaemagglutinin. Rapid boiling in fresh (not soak) water for ten minutes is essential.

helen65018, Jul 10, 1:37am
If you add teaspoon of baking soda when soaking they cook in under an hour. Yes it kills any Vit C but that's easy to replace.

kaydee16, Jul 10, 2:04am
Yes sorry, I was just referring to cooking chickpeas. Don't want anyone to get ill from uncooked poisonous kidney beans.

beaker59, Jul 10, 8:31am
I also like to put soaked chickpeas uncooked into food processor to whiz up to make Fallafel. I prefer this to the texture of cooked checkpeas in fallafel

frances1266, Jul 10, 8:48pm
Only kidney beans need to be hardboiled for 10 mins before cooking.
Other pulses including chickpeas can be cooked in a slow cooker without soaking.

seniorbones, Oct 16, 3:03pm
I just cover with cold water and leave to soak 2-3 hours until they have plumped up, drain and cook until they are soft, they dont take as long as most people say only about 20mins but I cook them for the chooks . . good protein. I too have done this recipe because hubby loves sausages and its ok. I'm going to try and make my own saussies as soon as I get the skins. I love my new mixer from cookessentials just baked two things and bought the mincer to try my own sausages. Only trouble is I keep eating the baking so I can make more! ! !