Sausagemeat Loaf - additions to add please

rog.e, Jul 8, 12:32am
I haven't any kin ofmince so need to make my meat loaf with just sausagemeat.

What I want is ideas to incorporate into the sasagemeat to make it less dense and a bit more of a taste treat.

Help please? NOT looking for a recipe as such just cominations to add to the meat.

Maybe I should just make patties with apple.

V

fifie, Jul 8, 1:02am
Mmmm i would add breadcrumbs, minced garlic, grated carrot, grated apple, worcester sauce, finely chopped celery or celery salt, onion, beaten egg to combine few herbs, something along those lines.

cookessentials, Jul 8, 1:05am
I find sage is good, along with finely diced onion and grated apple. I always add grated apple to my sausage rolls as it takes away the richness of the sausage meat. Some people also use grated potato. And as fifie said, definately a beaten egg.

rog.e, Jul 8, 1:16am
I've got all those ingredients/foods so could use the lot eh? I just want tasty but not the denseness of sausagee meat 'as is'.
Has anyone here made up the loaf mixture and left it to mellow in the fridge for a few hours?

Thanks
V

cookessentials, Jul 8, 1:18am
You could. You will find the egg will make all the difference to the denseness of the sauasge meat rog. e

fisher, Jul 8, 1:32am
Val here's one I have in my list
Sausage and Mushroom Meatloaf
Serve hot or coldThis loaf freezes well
Ingredients:
1 kg sausage meat ( 2 tubes ). . 1 finely chopped small onion. . salt and pepper. . 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce. . 1 tbsp chopped parsley. . 1 beaten egg. . 11/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs or 1 cup rolled oats + 1/2 cup fresh white breadcrumbs. . 220g can mushrooms / butter sauce...
Method:
Grease a loaf tin. Sprinkle the sides with additional white breadcrumbs and line the base of the tin with baking paper.
Combine all the ingredients, except 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, in the order given, then press the mixture into the loaf tin.
Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Bake at 180°C for 1 hour

245sam, Jul 8, 1:44am
rog. e/Val, the recipe as posted above by fisher is the recipe I posted ages and ages ago after making and enjoying that loaf for many many years - it makes a nice moist well-flavoured loaf that I serve thickly sliced when hot, thinly sliced when cold and we also enjoy it when medium-thickness slices are reheated on the barbecue (not that it's really barbecue weather at the moment! ). Nowdays I always use the 1 cup rolled oats instead of the alternative 1 cup breadcrumbs. :-))

dbab, Jul 8, 1:58am
A little curry powder added is nice.

gavin166, Jul 8, 2:05am
I hid a huge amount of mushrooms in one, once... pulsed in processor, so kids ate the meatloaf without complaint!
Make sure you have binding agents (egg, breadcrumbs) if there's lots of vege content in it.

rog.e, Jul 8, 2:06am
Hi fisher, how's things your way? - thanks for that recipe.

245aam Looks like it must be good.

dbab Thanks for your curry suggestion.

Now what wine shall I have with that!

:-)
V

rog.e, Jul 8, 2:11am
gavin166 - I Like meatloaf - lots can be hidden in one - including the dreaded greens, mushrooms and carrots etc. Mushrooms are meaty in flavour and texture too.
V

indy95, Jul 8, 3:09am
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but on the subject of mushrooms you can also fool ( maybe that should be " persuade " ) people into thinking that they are eating far more meat than they actually are by adding chopped mushrooms.

socram, Jul 8, 4:48am
Prunes! (Soaked in brandy or rum or even cider... . ) plus any of the options above. Great fan of mushrooms in anything.

madzwhippet, Jul 8, 7:08am
Some cooked rice instead of breadcrumbs would add nice texture, either white or brown cooked before you put it in the mix... . and maybe a favourite instant soup to tickle the flavour along... . . don't forget garlic and the other goodies of the recipe , eggs herbs etc... . .

rog.e, Jul 8, 7:21am
Wow such tasty ideas!

I have made one to try. In it I have put:

500g Sausagemeat
Chopped Shallot
Grated Granny Smith apple
1 regg
1 cup of Oat Bran
Worcestershire sauce
2 stalks of chopped up Celery
Some chopped parsley, savoury, thyme, and red sage all from my garden
A tin of Emma Mushrooms in sauce

I forgot the freshly ground Black Pepper I am so fond of darn it!

I am going to make the one fisher has typed up and will also try some other combos and freeze the cooked results.

Thanks to one and all, have a good night
V

calista, Jul 8, 11:09am
Grated courgettes leave lovely little flecks of green. Would red lentils work to make the meat go further?

fisher, Jul 8, 11:51am
Some great ideas and that's one I snaffled from here (Cheers sam45) because I liked the look of it and "extras" could be added to it if wanted... . Sausage meat has its "own" rich flavour without the mince mixed with it and there have been some really good suggestions. .
sage and onion. . always been one of my favourites. .
curry powder... also nice touch to liven it up. .
mushrooms, then also the proverbial peas (put them in frozen)and sliced celery. .
soaked prunes... now who would have thought... hmmmm gonna do that one for sure. . Various herbs of course, fresh rosemary for oneand what about some par fried bacon pieces... and try white pepper. . and maybe a "little" {few drops} pepper sauce rather than the curry powder. .
Just my musings Val, should keep ya busy for a while :} and a white wine with that and a red if ya have mince in it... On second thoughts whatever ya heart pleases ya on the day :}

laurenlee, Jul 9, 1:07am
Add i cup sweetened cooked granny smith apple pulp.
I use 1 dessertspoonful of mild sweet curry powder to the mix-everyone who tastes it askes for my recipe.
I also use 1 dessert spoon chopped fresh mint.
cooked rice gives a lovely texture-(half a cup before cooking)

margyr, Jul 9, 8:35pm
to make it not so dense just pull some bits of bread to peices and soak them in water squeeze out the excess and add to sausagemeat and all the other yummy suggestions, the wet bread you can use just abit less than sausagemeat mix it well with the sausagemeat before adding other stuff, no one will know that it is half and half meat and bread.

greg.n.michelle, Oct 13, 6:41pm
I would make scotch eggs. whiz up onion and red pepper and shoot anything you like try not to make it to wet throw herbs at it and mix pop your cooked egg in and roll in breadcrumbs... . I bake for a low fat opion but shallow fry or deep fry