Mouldy cheese

crystalmoon, Jul 7, 6:57am
Hi all, found a container of grated cheese I forgot I had in back of fridge, grated it about a month ago and thought the container was something else till I opened it. , has got bits of blue/green mould in it. Would it still be sfae to use in baking, omeletes, etc. Should be ok to use , right. Just for adults. Cheers

pickles7, Jul 7, 7:04am
just biff it. don't give it another thought.

hezwez, Jul 7, 7:32am
People BUY blue cheese, why not use a little (unless it's totally blue) in an omelette and see how it tastes?

245sam, Jul 7, 8:02am
crystalmoon, have you had a sniff/smell or taste of the cheese?
I love blue cheese and IMO the taste and smell of naturally moulded cheese and blue cheese have no comparison so I personally would not use the cheese that you have. :-))

sweater, Jul 7, 8:09am
A very good idea is to grate a block of cheese when you get it at a special price, put into a container & pop in the freezer, it does not freeze solid, so you can take out & use as little as you wish, no waste

2halls, Jul 7, 7:42pm
The bacteria used to make blue cheese and the bacteria that has grown on your cheese are in no way the same thing. DUMP that cheese. :-)

lilyfield, Jul 7, 8:53pm
take the blue bits off and use the rest. Just like what you do on the kilo block.
and in future freeze your grated cheese.

2halls, Jul 7, 10:19pm
Well, I'm sorry, but you do that at your own risk. There was a doco on not that long ago that showed that the bacteria that make you sick penetrate a lot deeper into the cheese than the eye can see. Certainly on a block you could cut off a good hunk, but not with grated cheese. I wouldn't eat any of it, but it's crystalmoon's call ...

crystalmoon, Oct 10, 5:49pm
Thanks everyone, will dump it dont want to risk sitting on the loo all day. usually do freeze my extragrated cheese, but thought this container was eggs as it was under my other egg tray, must have moved it to make more room in main fridge. Bugger its so dam exspensive too. Lesson learnt, lolz thanks or all the reply's.