Recipes From The Atlas Cookery Book 1965!

Page 1 / 2
cookessentials, Jul 1, 9:47pm
My little friend Alf ( who is 90) has just come into the shop and bought me an Atlas cookery book- it is the 11th edition from 1965, so, as i have only borrowed it, I thought I would slowly but surely put some of the recipes from there on here for those of you who are keen for some old NZ recipes! Looking at the picture on the front, it looks about 1940's. So be prepared for some rel "old timers" LOL

cookessentials, Jul 1, 9:53pm
Now, bear in mind that these recipes are not metric, so you will have to do a bit of conversion.
The first recipe I spotted was for "Cheese Cakes" which i remember my Mum making.

CHEESE CAKES:
40z flakey pastry
little raspberry jam
40z butter
4oz sugar
2 eggs
5oz flour
1 tsp baking powder.
Cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs and dry ingredients alternately. Roll out pastry and line patty tins. Put 1 tsp raspberry jam in each, then a large spoonful of mixture on top. Make a small cross of pastry on each. Place in centre of oven and bake at 400 for 10-15 mins ( I would say this is farenheit, so halve it perhaps)

cookessentials, Jul 1, 10:00pm
On the back page it has a photo and these words.
"All recipes in this cookbook are personally recommended by Marion McCrostie" Miss Marion McCrostie, Dip. H. sc Former home science instructress, Technical College, Christchurch; and until 1949 Demonstrator for the Municipal Electricity Department, Christchurch.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 1, 10:22pm
I remember my mother baking those "cheesecakes" and her being very confused when real cheesecakes became fashionable in the 70s/80s!

cookessentials, Jul 1, 10:31pm
JOY BISCUITS

8oz butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
4oz flour
1/2 cup sultanas
1 cup walnuts
2 level tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg. Add the dry ingredients. Roll into balls and flatten a little on a cold slide. Bake at 350 for 10 mins.

andrew499, Jul 1, 10:46pm
The foundation of the blind has an Atlas Cookery Book in braille. i think it's the 1952 edition. From what you've been posting I don't think the recipes have changed much.

jaybee2003, Jul 1, 10:58pm
On the subject of stove/oven manufacturers producing recipes etc - probably I am the last person in NZ to discover this and y'all already know - Fisher and Paykel have a 'kitchen' link on their website which takes you through to their Kitchen Blog site, full of really great recipes.

fruitluva2, Jul 1, 11:56pm
Looking forward to the postings here from the Atlas, and the Joy biscuits and cheesecakes sound interesting.

cookessentials, Jul 2, 12:00am
Yes there are a few with some funny names

jaky, Jul 2, 11:02am
I have the 12th edition from 1966. My oldest cook books are a second edition souvenir book of cookery recipes (NZ dry cleaning co) march 1935, Southern Southland federation or NZx country womens institues 1933. Here's one delicious recipe ;)
Sheep tongue shape
3 or 4 sheep tongues, water, 2 dessertspoons granulated gelatine, salt & pepper. Boil tongues gently till tender, then skin & cut into slices. Fill basin or round cake tin with slices, arranging nicely then dissolve gelatine in 2 Cups of the hot stock in which tongues have been boiled, add seasoning, pour over tongues & let set. Turn out, garnish with shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, parsley, etc. . & serve.

toadfish, Jul 2, 6:30pm
My neighbour over the back fence (well into her 80's) made us cheesecakes last year... When i told my girls what the were they went ... ... ... . 'No they are not"... and I said "Oh yes they are". We call it " nana baking"

petal1955, Jul 2, 10:50pm
do you have a link for that ? ? ?

cookessentials, Jul 4, 7:45am
I am making some cheesecakes tonight so that I can take some in to work tomorrow for Alf when he pops in.

cookessentials, Jul 5, 1:28am
I notice that they have an "invalids" page with some interesting items such as creamed brains, apple water, egg foam and steamed whitebait!

indy95, Jul 5, 1:48am
Don't you just love the Invalids recipes in the older books ? Most sound so unappealing the mere thought of them would be enough to make me recover very quickly.

cookessentials, Jul 5, 1:59am
that's exactly what I thought!

cookessentials, Jul 5, 3:59am
I had a visit from Alf this morning and he also brought in two cookbooks from old - one being Mrs Beetons recipe book and I learnt something about Mrs Beeton that I did not know. What age do you think Mrs Beeton was?

Well, according to the book, printed on the back it says:
"Isabella Beeton (nee Mayson) was born in London in 1836. At the age of 20 she married Samuel Beeton, a leading publisher. They had four sons. Her monumental "Cookery & Household Management" took four years to prepare and at once became an accepted classic. She died of pueperal fever, aged only 29.

I had always imagined her being around mid to late 60's.

jessie981, Jul 5, 4:18am
Bought some at the Market Saturday. Yummy. Remember mum had an Atlas

griffo4, Jul 5, 7:43am
Yes cooks l had read that about Mrs Beeton's
l have her book l got in Wales and says that inside and l read somewhere else that they kept putting the book out after she died for many years
l think my one is from 1923 and it is great to read all the different recipes they certainly didn't waste anything

cookessentials, Jul 5, 7:44am
Really quite sad.

enzu, Jul 5, 8:27pm
Were these also known as Bakewell Tarts?

cookessentials, Jul 5, 9:19pm
Bakewell tarts are slightly different in that they usually have lamond in them and I dont think they have a flakey pastry bottom, but similar I guess.

clair4, Jul 5, 10:05pm
Just had to find my old book and there certainly are some good old recipes. The arrowroot sponge looks good. It only has 2 heaped teaspoons of flour. May make them this weekend filled with raspberry jam and cream. YUM!

clair4, Jul 5, 10:17pm
The book I have is the seventh edition, 1957 and it is so brown with so much use, but the recipes are all readable. My copy does not have the cheese cakes but they sound yummy.

jaybee2003, Jul 7, 1:12am
If anyone is interested, you can download any or all of the 34 SunMaid Cook Booklets produced during the years 1910 - 2010. Sun-Maid has uploaded all their recipe booklets as free pdf downloads from their website. I have printed out the early ones, and the wartime ones.

www.sunmaid.com/en/recipes/100_Years_of_Recipes.html

Fabulous books, delightful artwork. Recipes include cakes, desserts, main meals, salads, lunches, breakfasts etc. Worth having a browse through.

Includes loads of Prune recipes - great for any fans of the Prune recipe thread!