Persimons any ideas on what to do with these

jack47, Jun 27, 8:44am
I have been given a large bag of persimons, never used them before. Any recipes much appreciated.

jag5, Jun 27, 8:56am
Ooooh... . just eat them. So delicate and yummy. Going to have one now. LOL

robke, Jun 27, 9:35am
Just peel and eat, soooo yummy

uli, Jun 27, 10:17am
Keep them in the fridge - so they do not ripen all at once - then keep eating :)

tehenga288, Jun 27, 10:36am
Make sure they are the 'modern' non astringent type otherwise you'll need to leave them till they are mushy - you'll know if you taste an unripe astringent type ! !

Saw a chef on TV the other day put a persimmon in the freezer over night then take out , leave to slightly soften (20 mins or so) cut in half round circumference & it scoops out like a beautiful orange coloured sorbet. It was served with a mix of mascarpone & whipped cream -looked really yummy.

joanne611, Jun 27, 11:59pm
Persimmons go great sliced orange or manderins. Quite a contrast.

michelle313, Jun 28, 12:09am
I saw that too! She also put some sort of liquour on it as well but can't remember what kind. I think it was ameretto? It was on the Cook and the Chef.

gilligee, Jun 28, 2:07am
I always leave the peel on them. Slice and eat. Yum.

jack47, Jun 28, 6:56am
Thanks so much for your all your lovely recipes, I also found on google a recipe for persimon chutney, might try that too. Also a cake which sounded delicious.

trah, Jun 28, 9:55pm
I made persimmon chutney (from Digby Law's book) with the persimmons from my tree. Unusual looking - orangey colour, not much texture - but oh my gosh, lovely flavour on cheese and crackers!

cookessentials, Jun 28, 10:42pm
MINI PERSIMMON AND COCONUT MUFFINS

Thanks to Chelsea for the recipe.

Ingredients1 large persimmon
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup Chelsea Caster Sugar
100g butter melted
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp coconut essence
2 extra Tbsp coconut to sprinkle

MethodPeel and finely dice persimmon (to the size of corn kernels or peas. ) Combine flour, baking powder and coconut and stir in Sugar. Make a well in the centre of another bowl, mix butter, eggs, milk and coconut essence. Pour the liquid ingredients and persimmon pieces into the well and lightly combine. Spoon into greased mini muffin trays. Sprinkle with extra coconut. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 200°C. Cool in trays, then tip out onto a wire rack to cool further.

Tip: Don’t over beat or use a food processor for muffins. Just lightly mix the ingredients to combine them. This will produce light, tender muffins that are smoothly rounded and not peaked on the top.

cookessentials, Jun 28, 10:43pm
Persimmon Salsa- many thanks to KPI
4 small firm but ripe Fuyu persimmons, peeled, cut into 1/2
inch cubes.
2 tablespoons minced white onion, rinsed, drained
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
2 teaspoons minced seeded serrano chile
2 teaspoons minced fresh mint
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
METHOD
1. Mix persimmons, onion, lime juice, basil, serrano chile, mint, and ginger in small bowl.
2. Season salsa to taste with salt and pepper.
3. The salsa can be made up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
4. Bring to room temperature before serving

cookessentials, Jun 28, 10:44pm
Persimmon Chutney

2 kilograms ripe persimmon, peeled, stones removed and roughly chopped.
2 large onions finely diced
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup lemon juice
4 teaspoon mixed spice

Place all the ingredients together in a saucepan. Bring to the boil.

Cook, stirring occasionally till the liquid is almost all gone, and the fruit is very soft and mushy.

Allow to cool then bottle

cookessentials, Jun 28, 10:45pm
Persimmon, walnut and ginger crumble - Courtesy Amanda Laird - NZ Herald

4 persimmons
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 cup dessert wine
1 cup water
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
70g plain flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
60g butter
30g ground walnuts
Icing sugar
Softly whipped cream to serve

1 Preheat oven to 200C. Grease a 1 litre baking dish. Peel and roughly chop the fruit. Add to the dish and add the zest, wine and water. Bake for 20 minutes.

2 Sift the baking powder, ginger and flour into a bowl, then stir in the sugar. Cube the butter and rub in until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the nuts and spoon over the fruit. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden then dust with icing sugar and serve warm with cream

cookessentials, Jun 28, 10:47pm
Here is a Link ToNZ Fresh Persimmons
http://www.nzpersimmons.org.nz/public/information.html

cookessentials, Jun 28, 10:49pm
Sue & Horsts famous Persimmon Cream Pie

INGREDIENTS

Two eggs

Cinnamon

sugar

salt

butter

milk or cream

lemon juice

persimmon pulp (buy half a dozen persimmons and then let them ripen until soft, use then for pulp)

the doings to make a pie shell

METHOD

Beat two eggs with half a teaspoon of cinnamon, half a cup of sugar and one quarter a teaspoon of salt. Add two cups of milk or cream, one cup of persimmon pulp, two tablespoons of melted butter and one teaspoon of lemon juice.

Pour into an unbaked pie shell. Bake in a very hot oven at 230C (450F) for 10 minutes* then reduce temperature to 180C (350F) and bake for a further 30 minutes.

Let cool before cutting. Serve with plain or vanilla ice-cream.

*Don't panic in any of this baking: the pie may look soft and runny in the middle but it will firm up nicely in those last five minutes. Oh, and the Very Best Persimmons come from Olaga Fou Orchard at 639 Ngunguru Rd outside of Whangarei on the way to the coast through Glenbervie. And that's the fact, Jack

cookessentials, Jun 28, 10:51pm
Amanda laird - NZ Heral again!
Ricotta and persimmon baked cheesecake

2 persimmons, plus 1 extra for the topping
1 cup water
80g butter
250g digestive biscuits
200g cream cheese, softened
250g ricotta
170g caster sugar
3 eggs
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 tsp butter

1 Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm springform cake tin. Peel and slice two persimmons and put in a saucepan with the water. Cover and cook over a gentle heat until soft, about 7 minutes, let cool.

2 Crush the biscuits in a food processor then add the butter and process. Press the crumbs into the bottom of the tin and top with the cooked persimmons.

3 Beat the cream cheese, ricotta, sugar, eggs and lemon until smooth then pour over the fruit and bake for 45 minutes or until set.

4 Peel and thinly slice the remaining persimmon into rounds. Heat a frypan, add the butter and then cook the slices until well coloured. Pile on top of the cheesecake before serving

cookessentials, Jun 28, 10:52pm
James Beard`s Persimmon Bread
3 1/2 c Sifted all-purpose flour

1 1/2 ts Salt

2 ts Baking soda

1 ts Ground mace

2 c To 2 1/2 cups

-granulated sugar 1 c Butter, melted

4 lg Eggs, lightly beaten

2/3 c Cognac or bourbon

*REMY MARTIN Suzy`s choice 2 c Persimmon puree (the pulp

Of about 4md. persimmons - - not necessary to peel 2 c Coarsely chopped walnuts

-optional 2 c Raisins -optional

Source: Beard on Bread 1973 Sift all five dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Then make a well in the center and add the melted butter, egg, Cognac, persimmon puree, and if you like, the nuts and raisins. Mix the dough until it is quite smooth. smooth. Butter and flour four molds*, fill them about three-fourths full, , and bake for 1 hr. at 350° F. Cool the loaves in the molds and turn out on a

rack. NOTE: Wrap in foil after cooling if you wish to keep them. They will keep nicely from 1 to 2 weeks. Persimmons grow in many countries of the world, but often, as in France, they are left hanging on the trees. In this country (USA) we have learned to appreciate their superb deep-orange color, their shape, and their delicate flavor, and they are becoming increasingly popular. In earlier times they were allowed to ripen on the trees until dead ripe before being eaten raw or used for puddings, cookies, and breads. Nowadays they show up in our markets in a firm state and must be left at room temperature for several days or a week to ripen until they are almost mushy. This old recipe, sent to me by a dear friend from the Middle West, makes a bread that is almost cakelike in texture. Spread with good fresh butter, it is very pleasant to eat along with a cup of tea or to use for a cream-cheese Sandwich. It is unusual, rich, and thoroughly delicious. *Traditionally this bread is baked in four 1-pound buttered and floured coffee cans, but you can use 3- to 4-cup charlotte molds (my preference, (JB) round Pyrex dishes, or round stainless steel bowls. James Beard Makes: [4 round leaves] *I use Remy Martin and coffee cans as molds for gift giving holiday time.

moore79, Jun 29, 7:43am
Putting Persimmons in the fridge actually helps ripen them. So if you don't want them to ripen so fast, leave them at room temperature.

jack47, Jul 2, 1:48am
Thankyou so much cookessentails I have used some of the recipes and are convinced that persimons are really quiet yummy. The colour of the fruit is gorgeous. You put alot of effort into sending your recipes so much appreciated. PS. Would the persimon bread freeze well?

cookessentials, Sep 23, 3:46am
You are most welcome. They do have the most amazing colour dont they? I dont see why it would not freese - a case of trying it to see I guess.