Uses for the other bits........?

abbey_magick, Feb 17, 2:30am
Senario: You drain a tin of peaches to use in a recipe. What can you use the juice for? I want to know what you can use the other bits of what you use in normal cooking/baking. And i dont mean the other half of the tin etc. What are your secrets? (kind of example if i didnt make it clear. Egg white for pav, yolk for custard. That kind of thing)

lythande1, Feb 17, 2:36am
Whatever, what I do is freeze leftover everything until I need it for another recipe. Rather than trying to use it straight away.

245sam, Feb 17, 2:41am
abbey_magick, to use your example of a can of peaches... . . The following is a real oldie idea that my Mum often made to use the syrup from bottled/preserved fruit and I too have used it rather than waste the fruity flavoured syrup.

CREAMY FRUIT WHISK
small jar or can of fruit
water
1 heaped dssp flour
2 dssp gelatine

Drain the jar (or can) and make the syrup up to 2 cups with water.
Mix the flour with some of the liquid and bring the remainder of the liquid to the boil. Add the flour and boil for 2 minutes, until thick, stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly, still stirring, then pour the mixture on to the gelatine. Cool, then whisk for at least ¼ hour. Add the required amount of chopped fruit and pour the mixture into a serving dish to set.
Note: This can also be made with any juice from stewed fruit and no fruit added, or it can be made with black coffee, sweetened to taste.
:-))

barloo, Feb 17, 8:21am
left over wine you can freeze down for stews, marinades, etc:)

barloo, Aug 14, 10:45pm
I freeze boiling water from silverbeet, cabbage, carrot and swede and pumpkin for stews, and soups and gravies! Adds loads of flavor.