Poached Eggs..

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 21, 7:26pm
Has anyone got any hints for making poached eggs?

bluecalico, Jun 21, 7:32pm
fry them instead, much easier, and tastier... . . dash of oil in pan. Apparently you can spin the water before you add the egg/s to set them instead of breaking them in to still water. Some swear by a dash of vinegar too to hold them together.

ferita, Jun 21, 7:35pm
I do mine in a non stick wok.
Get the water really hot nearly boiling add a dash of vinegar. Crack an egg into a cup then gently pour the egg into the water from the cup.
Turn the heat down slighlty (dont let it boil). Dont touch the eggs until the white has set then you can move them with a sloted spoon or similar.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 21, 7:44pm
thanks heaps goingto make some now

ferita, Jun 21, 9:55pm
How did it go? I made some this morning as well :) this thread made me hungry LOL

taurus2005, Jun 21, 9:58pm
Try this. Rinse out a cup. Break egg into it without breaking the yolk. Microwave for about 40 secs. Just perfect.

eastie3, Jun 22, 6:59am
I also use the stir-the -water method. Heat plenty of water in small saucepan, add a dash of vinegar if liked. Bring to just below the boil, stir the water to create a vortex and quickly add egg. Simmer until egg is cooked and lift out with a slotted spoon. Perfect, oval, poached eggs.

lizab, Jun 22, 7:15am
I'd love to be able to stir the water and add the one egg, but unfortunately when I'm making poached eggs it's for lots of people! ! So I bring the frypan of water almost to the boil and then break the eggs into it around the edge of the pan. When the water gets hot again and the eggs are getting set, I gently put a spatula under them and then they can move around the water a bit. Sometimes you need to splash the water onto the top of the uncooked yolk to speed things up a little.

ferita, Jun 22, 8:18am
One restuarant I worked at had a huge stock pot with simmering water in it. We would put eggs in it and when they floated to the surface they where cooked LOL

ridgeline, Jun 22, 8:32am
In my opinion the best poached eggs come from 1st year laying hens - the yolk and white hold together better than is the case with older hens. We place the eggs into boiling water that has a little white vinegar added

gurlkiwi, Jun 22, 9:04am
I steam mine in a pot with steamer attachement - I have a 2 egg poacher that sits in the basket... easy

nzhel, Jun 22, 11:49am
I adore poached eggs and make them for either my breakfast or lunch several times a week. I use a small non stick pan, pour in boiling water and put in an egg ring, once the water has started to come to the boil again in the pan, I break the egg into the ring and cook for about 2 minutes. You may need to turn down the heat a little. Serve on toast - yum!

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 22, 6:46pm
thats a brilliant idea never thought to use an egg ring... i have one but usually just to get perfect round fried eggs lol thanks so much

tipsy_bl0nde, Aug 28, 4:16pm
They came out suprisingly good. shocked my self that its not just a big mess lol. thanks guys!