Just made a huge pot of soup and I want to know

jallen2, Jun 19, 12:34am
if I can reheat it?
Heres my dilemma... ... I made my own chicken stock (so thats first heating) and now the soup. (2nd heating)

Normally I would never reheat something a third time. So does that mean I have to throw it all out because there is tons of it.

My MIL used to tell me that they would have a pot of soup on through the winter and add to it each day so it was heated over and over - also with gravy. She would throw the night before's gravy in the new gravy. Gross if you ask me. But is this normal practice from yester-year?

Also I was thinking (if I can reheat), I will freeze some and because I'm not a soup lover - I can't see me pulling it out to eat again - but I would use it as a base in mince and stews etc.
So that obviously means that I wouldn't be able to heat any left overs of that meal. lol. But store bought stock in a box (which I have never bought but might in the future) couldn't really be usedand then the meal reheated.
Am I just overthinking the whole reheating thing? lol

jessie981, Jun 19, 12:39am
You'll be fine. I put left over in the fridge & reheat & we haven't died yet.

accroul, Jun 19, 12:43am
Just bring it to the boil each time! - you should be right for a day or two at least.

linette1, Jun 19, 12:45am
Yes it is fine as long as you bring the soup to boiling point when you reheat it. I always make soup the way you describe and put it in containers and freeze it and reheat it, boiling it serilises it. Yes you are overthinking it too much. Enjoy.

jallen2, Jun 19, 12:49am
Thanks everyone. That makes total sense to boil it. :-)

lythande1, Jun 19, 3:47am
Of course you can. Freeze it it smaller containers and use as required.

juliewn, Jun 19, 11:08am
You can also take out just what you're needing and heat that to use - so the rest isn't getting reboiled often. . freezing works well too.

uli, Aug 19, 1:50pm
Master stocks get reboiled every time you use them, some are years old. They just go into the fridge after cooling if used again the next day or into the freezer if to be kept for longer than a day.