Difference between a crockpot and a slow cooker?

miskip, Jun 16, 8:28pm
Whats the best one to buy? thinking of getting one for winter, but never used either.

glenj, Jun 16, 8:38pm
We have Zip model 218 which has a 250 watt rating. Unit has three heat settings. I thinkit is classed as a slow cooker not sure if there is difference.

paul.t, Jun 16, 8:49pm
I borrowed a sun beam crockpot, it was written on the front then bought my own sunbeam slow cooker which was written on the front, they look exactly the same

pericles, Jun 16, 9:00pm
they are the same

beebs, Jun 16, 9:04pm
as far as i know, a crockpot is just a kind of slow cooker

cookessentials, Jun 16, 9:20pm
I think they are similar, however, I am not sure what the interiors are made of with the ones here. I have an original Australian "crockpot" which it is called on the front. I have had it since 1983 and before the crockpot was even heard of here. it literally has an interior "crock" made of glazed earthenware- not sure if the ones here have that? and it also has a glass lid - I think the original crock pots in Nz did not have a glass lid! mine has a dial with either high or low and is basic but does the job perfectly and has done for 27 years.

kirsty_rae, Jun 16, 9:35pm
They are exactly the same i thought, crockpot is a brandname (well thats what the cook on good morning show said the other day)? We had a sunbeam crockpot round one, until it broke and replaced it with a breville slow cooker. it is an oval shape, fits chickens and bigger pieces of meat much better. it also has a keep warm function, which i now find really good.

ballito, Jun 16, 10:25pm
There is generally no difference between the two, just different brands have different names. I had one of the old style crockpots (Ralta brand) which lasted for years but started to get a bit slow. I've now got a Sunbeam which is bigger. The newer crockpots or slow cookers cook food a lot quicker than the older models and I find that if a recipe calls for 8 hours cooking time then you can be sure that it will be ready in under that - that is the case with my sunbeam model.

fisher, Jun 16, 10:27pm
miskip... EXACTLY the same beast. . no difference...
Whatever brand you buy, a large oval one will fit long items like roasts and lamb shanks. . One with an auto setting will allow you to turn your crockpot/slowcooker :} on and it will start on HIGH which is what you want for initial cooking to LOW after an hour for the balance of the cooking time. .

fisher, Jun 16, 10:33pm
Ballito ... yes your are correct... the old crocks did not run at a high temperature. . and found that the food stayed in the danger zone temperatures for bacteria to form. . It's desirable to get the initial heat up quickly to eleviate that period where bacteria can form so they now have a standard that they must run at higher temps on high for that purpose. . IMO its best to start your crock on high or auto every time and turn down later...
That's why your cooking time is shorter with the new ones...

cookessentials, Jun 16, 10:45pm
so what are the interiors of yours you guys?

maxwell.inc, Jun 16, 10:48pm
Sunbeam - internal Crock is from Temuka (thats also where u can buy replacements if you break it! )

miskip, Jun 17, 12:36am
hey thanks everyone for your info very interesting reading!

seniorbones, Jun 17, 12:50am
I thought they were the same too, I have the white sunbeam one thats been around for quite a while, I was looking in my freezer and found odd things like 2 sausages 1 peice of rump steak 2 lamb shoulder shops and some cross cut blade steak, or little bits left over. put them in the crockpot with onion carrots and a pack of some sauce I had and it was the nicest casserole ever! even my son commented how delicous it was and was going to have more at 11. 30pm as he couldnt eat after 12 due to op today. I think the pack was oxtail soup plus I added tom sauce worcestershire just stood at the cupboard and chucked things in! wish I had written down what I did. Won be able to repeat it now.

natalie9, Jun 17, 12:58am
I think slow cooker is the generic name. I have a slow cooker book and it refers to tagines, crockpots and others...

bearskin, May 30, 10:40pm
Anyone have a particular recommendation for which one, or brand to go for, or to avoid?