cheese scones?

selena_87, Feb 14, 11:56pm
i just made the perfect scones using 4cups self raisng flour, 300ml cream, 355ml lemondae and 1/2tsp salt. was wondering if i could just add cheese to the mixture next time or would i have to adjust the recipe? ?

catlover28, Feb 15, 12:07am
Cream in scones? Naughty! Yum!

pam.delilah, Feb 15, 12:44am
yes you can, just use soda water instead of the lemonade and1 cup grated cheese. You make also like to add mustard or paprikaor Cayenne pepper

susieq9, Feb 15, 12:57am
To make a lite version, use diet or zero lemonade and a long lifepacket of lite cream, either or both.

lilyfield, Feb 15, 2:27am
mine get neither cream nor milk nor lemonade and they are still yummy as.

cookessentials, Feb 15, 2:46am
mine have buttermilk in them and they are delish. They stay nice and soft, even the next day. They are the only ones I make now - served with softly whipped cream, fresh strawberry jam and fresh sliced strawberries on the top.

cottagerose, Feb 15, 5:33am
Would you mind sharing that recipe please and I presume I will find buttermilk in the deli at supermarkets.
Thankyou

dorothy_vdh, Feb 15, 6:48am
Yesterday I had the yummiest cheese scone I have ever tasted. It was from Capers, in downtown Palmerston North. Will definitely have it again. My only concern they are too large, and I couldn't stop eatingeven though I really had, had enough after 1/2 of it

gypsy11, Feb 15, 11:04am
Hi there, another good idea is to change the soda water/ lemonade for beer. This works very well and is a good combination with cheese / onion / bacon.

cookessentials, Aug 10, 3:46pm
Hi cottagerose, here is the recipe for my buttermilk scones. Tararua doe a container of buttermilk which you will find in the milk/dairy section of your supermarket.

BUTTERMILK SCONES
2 cups self raising flour; 1 tsp salt; 1 tsp caster sugar; 1/2 tsp baking soda; 60g butter; 2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk.
Sift all dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Rub in butter till mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn out onto a floured board or bench. Knead lightly and pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in pre-heated very hot oven (230C) for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Makes about 16 scones, although I usually make less as I use a bigger cutter. I serve them with softly whipped cream (stiff enough to fall from the spoon, not thick and gluggy) either home made or a good quality strawberry jam and if you wish, add some thinly sliced strawberries to the top. A nice balsamic strawberry is also a nice combination which is basically sliced strawberries, a little raw sugar and a good dash of balsamic vinegar and stirred well - it really brings out the flavour of the berries.